584,830 active members*
5,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Wooden Clocks > Cutting Wodden Clock Gears with a Small CNC Router?

Cutting Wodden Clock Gears with a Small CNC Router?

Has anyone out there successfully used a CNC router to cut wooden clock gears (from plywood or hardwood or possibly even plexiglass)? Any recommendations as to a suitable machine? It doesn't need to be large.

Re: Cutting Wodden Clock Gears with a Small CNC Router?

Yes i have there are some free gear programs you can use ,I made a long case clock from Maple and various woods all by hand on the scroll saw and a small lathe for the spindles very accurate when she ran.

There are many websites that sell plans for wooden gear clocks. Most recommend Baltic birch plywood, although some people use solid or segmented wood. Here is a closeup of some segmented gears cut on a generic CNC router with a 1/8" router bit. Nearly any CNC router should be capable of cutting the gears. In my opinion, the most important characteristic is low backlash. Rigidity is also important.

The great thing is that most gears are less than 12". Even the clock face is rarely larger than 16". This lets you stay in the range of smaller machines.

Attachment 397646

Gear template generator was the free program I was thinking of you can save them in BMP,PDF ect and then I cnc'd the shape worked really well .There was a guy here years ago that sandwiched brass between nice figured wood and pinned them and cut the gear shape nice effect and long lasting.