584,837 active members*
5,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Migrating over to mach3.... I tried the new

Hello all,

I currently have been using planet-cnc controllers and software, and I really like it. Have had zero issues, but unfortunately I can't get my Proma 150 THC to work with it. It shows the inputs being triggered in the software, but I have no movement of my z axis. I have contacted them numerous times, and they have been very helpful, but my problem has not been solved. They are always quick at answering and giving solutions- unfortunately none of them have worked. I'm not bashing them at all, great guys. This brings me to my main point.

I have decided for my plasma cutting needs I NEED a working THC. Every CAM software has an output for Mach3, and few have outputs for planetcnc. I believe the planet software is far ahead of mach3, but the utilitarianess of mach3 wins in terms of plugins and support. I have built several CNC machines and 3d printers, and am pretty familiar with all the software necessary for getting to the "part making". I'm lacking on knowledge of how to move back in time to work with mach3 without a parallel port. I see several products, but most require other breakout boards, or motion controllers (I think????). If anyone could point me in the direction of how to get started with mach3, from a plasma based set up I would be very grateful.

My requirements are:
    Needs to work with windows 10
    Needs to be USB driven (or ethernet I guess, don't know anything about that either)
    Needs to work with Proma THC 150

I can swap out computer parts if necessary, I just need a general run down of what I need. The USB controllers I use are pretty much a plug and play all-in-one set up. I don't like the fact that mach3 was old when I started out with CNC machines (10 years ago), but it's still around so it must work. Mach4 doesn't seem to be gaining much ground. I just want something that works. I appreciate any insight to what others have done to make a good plasma set up. Thanks all in advance.

Re: Migrating over to mach3.... I tried the new

I'm also open to other options other than mach3. I have sheetcam, estlcam, vectric desktop, solidworks, and bend tech. I hope to eventually get a rotary axis set up with the plasma as well.

Go for UCCNC with a UC400ETH motion controller. Far superior to Mach3, and used by a lot of plasma users.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Would this also be compatible with a rotary table? Does it support inputs from Proma THC? Does this require a BOB? from the looks of it it does. I'm new to this "new" tech. What else would it take for making a connection for the THC? Any breakout board recommendations?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wastelandfab View Post
    Would this also be compatible with a rotary table? Does it support inputs from Proma THC? Does this require a BOB? from the looks of it it does. I'm new to this "new" tech. What else would it take for making a connection for the THC? Any breakout board recommendations?
    Thanks.
    It supports 6 axis. Yes it works with the Proma THC150, you connect the THC up and down and ARK OK signals to inputs and you connect torch fire M3 to an output. Yes it requires a BOB. Isolated BOB for you: CNCdrive - motion controls

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered everything you guys recommended. Hope it all works out. Looking forward to having a working THC, then moving forward with a rotary axis. Cutting tubing notches with plasma would be amazing (vs hole saw). Hope you guys can give me a few pointers to setting it up as well! Thanks for the advice. I'm downloading UCCNC software now and gonna see if I can get the hang of it while waiting for controller and breakout board.

Whoa.. This feels like going back in time! I have the license file-do I need to uccnc 400eth to start using the software? All its giving me is demo- modes. I think I'm making this too difficult, the software seems easy. Glad to see there is a CAM with this as well, should work well for the simple work I need to do with plasma all in one software. I didn't see UCCNC listed in sheetcam for post processors. Is there one available?

It only runs in demo mode without the motion controller.
    You might want to join the UCCNC forum, as there are a few plasma users that post there.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by wastelandfab View Post
    Whoa.. This feels like going back in time! I have the license file-do I need to uccnc 400eth to start using the software? All its giving me is demo- modes. I think I'm making this too difficult, the software seems easy. Glad to see there is a CAM with this as well, should work well for the simple work I need to do with plasma all in one software. I didn't see UCCNC listed in sheetcam for post processors. Is there one available?
    You can use a mach3 post processor in sheetcam.
    UCCNC runs in demo mode without a controller and license key, but you could not test the THC anyways without having a controller with input pins on it.