584,837 active members*
4,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Huanyang 4kw Goes POP! Any Ideas?

My 4kw huanyang popped the other day and I wasn't even using the tool connected to it.

It's wired to a 5hp planer. I use the dryer outlet an plug and unplug the cord to essentially turn the VFD on. I usually turn the breaker off, plug it in, then flip the breaker on but don't think I did that. It booted up and about 45 seconds later it popped. I didn't even hit the run button on the planer.

Pic of my wiring.

I was reading some have the power from the wall going to R & T instead of R & S. Would that make a difference?

The ground from the wall goes to the ground on the VFD. I also have a ground from the VFD going to a mounting plate on the planer.

Is that correct? It worked for 6 months no issues. Not saying my wiring is correct but it was working until it popped.

Is there a way to install a toggle on/off switch for either the VFD or the planer? I read that it's better to hit an on off switch instead of the run/stop on the VFD.

I know I can't put a switch between the VFD and planer BUT how about a switch on the 220v incoming from the wall to the VFD?

EDIT: I do plan to run the wire from the VFD to motor in conduit. I'd like to mount the VFD several feet away on the wall and then have a toggle switch on the planer. Not sure how to do that.
    Last edited by Psychbiker; 07-05-2018 at 11:00 PM.