584,846 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Machine rust

Machine rust

I have a major issue with rust on my machine. I had to move it to my new house and the machine got really cold then warm again and then cold so it had some rust. I cleaned it off the best I could. Well I have to replace a ball screw and there is a ton of rust. I need to get it fixed. So my issue is that I have never taken the table apart and a little concerned. Can I take just the gibs out and clean them without taking the entire saddles off? I know I would probably be better off taking the whole thing apart, but am worried I will miss something reassembling it or do more damage than good. If I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Has anyone taking the whole saddle apart? How hard was it and how long did it take?

Thanks - Keith

Re: Machine rust

Keith,

Removing the table and saddle is straight-forward, but not necessarily all that easy. It does require some muscle as well.

1) Remove the bellows.
    2) Remove the X axis motor and coupler, along with the support bearing locknut and spacer.
    3) Remove the knob from the LH end of the X ballscrew
    4) Remove the two mounting bolts from both X screw bearing blocks
    5) The bearing blocks will now be held in place only by the tapered dowel pins. These are internally threaded on the exposed ends, and have to be extracted by pulling them out. This can be done by using suitable bolts and stacks of washers to pull the pins against the bearing blocks being careful to NOT break the bolts. If installed tightly, they can be difficult to extract.
    6) Once the pins are out the bearing blocks can be slipped off the ends of the ballscrew
    7) Remove the gib strips, and the table cane tilted up and off the saddle. Doing this requires either a hoist, crane, or two strong people - it is HEAVY.
    8) Remove the bolts fastening the ballnut to its mount, and pull the ballscrew out to the X+ direction

Removing the saddle follows essentially the same process, except you have to disconnect the oil feed lines as well.

R&Ring both screws can be expected to take probably two days the first time you do it.

Regards,
    Ray L.