585,712 active members*
4,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CNC (Mill / Lathe) Control Software (NC) > Tormach and a part changing robotic arm. How can I make them communicate?

Tormach and a part changing robotic arm. How can I make them communicate?

I have a Tormach 770 and I want to design and make a 6 axis robotic arm. I want to make the arm work with the machine, loading and unloading parts. I want to power the arm with stepper motors, but how I can get the robot arm and the Tormach to operate as one machine?

To clarify what I am asking, I could use Mach 3, have a breakout board/motion controller, running stepper motor drivers, a power supply, all to control stepper motors, that control a part changing robotic arm. I could then mount this arm next to my mill and program it to change the part, but here is where I am totally lost: How do I make the arm and Tormach communicate? How will the arm know when the mill is finished and the mill know that the arm is finished? I know that I could time the system with delays, or make the robot push a button that starts the mill, but I am really hoping there is a better way.

Thank you!
    http://saftysign.ir

Re: Tormach and a part changing robotic arm. How can I make them communicate?

Didn’t you post this same question in another category under a different user name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro