584,805 active members*
4,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Six jaw chuck for Shopmaster

Seems like I am always chucking stuff by the threads so I decided to look at getting a six jaw chuck to hopefully cause less damage to threads. I ordered a cheap Chinese Sanou six jaw 6 inch chuck off Ebay. It arrived in 4 or 5 days and fit my machine without any modification to anything. The chuck was full of grinding dust and grit so I cleaned it thoroughly.

Shockingly, the thing seems to hold a thou and a half of run out through its' range. Maybe I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodlett View Post
    Seems like I am always chucking stuff by the threads so I decided to look at getting a six jaw chuck to hopefully cause less damage to threads. I ordered a cheap Chinese Sanou six jaw 6 inch chuck off Ebay. It arrived in 4 or 5 days and fit my machine without any modification to anything. The chuck was full of grinding dust and grit so I cleaned it thoroughly.

Shockingly, the thing seems to hold a thou and a half of run out through its' range. Maybe I got lucky.
    Great to hear a good review, you hear so many bad ones you'd think SOMEONE would start making good ones. Keep us posted on projects and uses for the 6-jaw.

Re: Six jaw chuck for Shopmaster

I bought an American Made Kalamazoo Chuck
    It has microset capability to true it in. They also made an adapter to the 2015 Millturn head stock.
    The final runout was too small to measure less than 0.002 mm

I didn't know a set-through type chuck was even an option for this machine.

When I was setting up my machine in the fall of 2015, I had a number of challenges, I eventually checked all the tolerances of the machine against the guaranteed accuracy that was listed on the shopmaster website at the time shee.jpg attached below.

Besides the problems with the Tail-stock and the main carriage, i noted that the headstock was outside specs.
    a. Using the longitudinal carriage after removing the mill table I was able to confirm that some of the critical measurements were over double the factory manufacturing tolerances.
    i. G2.a Spindle float was less than 0.00005”
    ii. G2.b radial centering was 0.00165"
    iii. G4.a was 0.0022" at the spindle end
    iv. G4.b was 0.0036" 6” from the spindle end

Note that in separate specs it quoited SPINDLE ACCURACY T.I.R. 0.00076?

I traced part of the problem to the actual chuck and the spindle. I looked at Bison, Buck and Kalamazoo chucks and settled on the Kalamazoo 6 jaw. model 3665 with guaranteed TIR of 0.0005" again because i wanted to minimize damage to threaded ends.

Micro Set Manual Chucks - Solid Jaws from Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing 1-888-727-4703

I sent Kalamazoo my spindle and they machined an adapter to fit their 6 jaw chuck.

I trued up the spindle and bolted on the new chuck and tested and the TIR was less than 0.002mm or 0.0000787".