584,808 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Plasma cutting process stops for no reason, then continues

Plasma cutting process stops for no reason, then continues

Hello everybody!

A specific problem occurs whenever I try to plasma cut with 80 A electrode. The problem is that while cutting interior contours (holes for ex.) the movement is stopped for a brief second and then continues. This causes quality issues on the cutting surface because the arc continues to burn while the torch is stationary.

The machine (Messer MetalMaster) works perfectly with other electrodes, so its very weird that it does this whit the 80A electrode. I use Hypertherm parts.

The software I use is called OmniWin 2011. The function I use to create the plans for the machine is OmniNest. In the simulations it doesn't throw up any problems, so I am clueless. Has anyone had a similar problem? The software is old, and only works on Windows XP, so the fact that its full of bugs is not excluded.

Thank you in advance, for the help!

Re: Plasma cutting process stops for no reason, then continues

The one instance I am aware of with similar behaviour was traced to the trajectory planner briefly stopping when there was a transition from one arc to another. It certainly caused the divot in cuts as you describe. If you are on old software, I would not hold out much hope for a fix if this is the cause. Maybe the hotter arc makes the fault more noticeable.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Re: Plasma cutting process stops for no reason, then continues

Does the software set any G04 codes in the Gcode?
    If so you can remove those or figure out why it puts them in. That is a dwell code.
    Lee