584,817 active members*
5,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

hello, we have a citizen L12 : i don't like the procedure for measuring tools, which involves contact between cutting edge and material

please, is there another way ? fast, reliable ? kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello, we have a citizen L12 : i don't like the procedure for measuring tools, which involves contact between cutting edge and material

please, is there another way ? fast, reliable ? kindly
    Their are other ways to touch off tooling on the od. You can add say .500 to the x offset. Then go to manual set and call up your tool. Then dial down and instead of bringing insert to the od. Take a piece of paper and mic it. Should be around .006 now put paper between tool and bar stock. Handle down in x until paper starts to get interference. Slide paper out and make sure to subtract whatever your paper thickness was. Then hit input then gang return and repeat procedure for next tool.

Re: pls, how to measure the tools on gang lathe ?

hi cosmo we also thought of something like this, but it is still slow

we are preparing a setup ( od, id and live tools ), and the part cycle is pretty long; changing the tool also takes a while

after we change the tool, we need to run 2-3 parts to adjust the offset, and this simply takes too long; too loooong

i was told about an U shape thing, that allows fast repetition when changing drills, but this setup is done outside the machine, and after that the tool is put inside the machine

it still takes too long

i need something like a renishaw, etc, so to minimize the setup time

maybe i need to consider quick change tooling not a fancy thing, but a must / kindly

I have made steel holders for all my tools. The bottom is milled down to get them at center hight. At the end there is a notch so when I manually change the tool, it sits in the same (0.01 mm) place as before. One of the tools is the reference. The offset of the other tools to this reference is measured by a turning and facing pass. Then i measure the diameter and length of the work piece and know the offset to the reference. Now a tool change just takes the time to manual switch the tool. You could however do the same procedure with an automatic tool changer.

hi cosmo we also thought of something like this, but it is still slow

we are preparing a setup ( od, id and live tools ), and the part cycle is pretty long; changing the tool also takes a while

after we change the tool, we need to run 2-3 parts to adjust the offset, and this simply takes too long; too loooong

i was told about an U shape thing, that allows fast repetition when changing drills, but this setup is done outside the machine, and after that the tool is put inside the machine

it still takes too long

i need something like a renishaw, etc, so to minimize the setup time

maybe i need to consider quick change tooling not a fancy thing, but a must / kindly
    Look into the Sandvik QS system. You can easily get repeatability of +/-.001 or better.

I MUST warn, if you really need that kind of repeatability, you must have the right insert as there are manufacturing tolerances applied to them

IE: a DCGT insert may have +/-.005 on size

a DCET may have +/-.001.

As much as I really don't care that much for Sandvik, the QS system is pretty slick.

hy hfjbuis, pls, would you share a photo ?

hy z369, thx 4 the reply ...

i thought of tapping a thread @ the end of the od tools, and put a screw in there ... kindly

Here some pictures:

A inner turning tool mounted in the the toolpost.
    The screw on the end ensures exact repositioning (X)

I glued (epoxy) a fixation in the tool post that makes repositioning (Z) more accurate
    The tool holder is pressed against the inside of the tool post.

The inner turning holder without the tool.
    The tool is fixated using two screws. The flat end prevents rotating the tool in the holder.
    The bottom of the holder is milled down until the tool tip is at center height. During milling, the tool is inserted in the holder!

The bottom of a holder for a 8 mm insert tool.
    The tool is glued on the holder (epoxy).
    After hardening, the bottom is milled down to get the tip at center height.

The center height on my lathe is 9.3 mm. I think it would be easier to order 12 mm insert tools and mill them down until the tool tip is at center height.

I have made the same kind of holders for the HSS turning tools.

To prevent rotating the tool holder when tightening the tool post screws, I a put a small ball bearing in the tip of the screw.

thx hfjbus

thx hfjbus

thx hfjbus
    We also have an L12. Just got some coolant they holders. They are the Sandvik QS. If you need assistance with part numbers I can help.

We also run parts with lengthy cycle times. Too save time I use "GOTO" statements. They let you skip parts of the program that have no relevance to the tool your dialing in.
    Big time saver

hello colby thx for the reply

i know about sandvick qs from a while ago, i also have a few ideas about some alternatives, but i need to postpone them time is time ...

i don't use GOTOs, because it takes too much time to edit the program inside each operation, tool number is parameterized; if i wish to jump a specific operation, i simply put '-' in front of the variable that represents the tool

it is the same thing in the end, only that it is achieved with less keystrokes

also if each operation is inside a soubroutine, and i wish to jump over 3 operations, then i simply put '-' on 3 consecutive lines; like this, i don't scroll through the program

less editing time = less setup time = faster trials

also, oh god, i hate the citizen interface; i can't connect to the cnc through a local network, and i don't like running with the usb to the machine, and back to the pc / kindly