584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Avoid EdgeCAM at all costs!

Avoid EdgeCAM at all costs!

My first post here. I've been programming at my new job for two months now, and went away on training but no matter how much I use it, I can't warm up to it. I started with MasterCAM, then Gibbs, but EdgeCAM takes the cake for works CAM software I've ever had the misfortune of using.

If any of you are professional programmers, here is what you'll have to look forward to on the 3 axis package. I realize I'm using the default post but my local reseller hasn't been willing to help me set up a post for my machine.

- Very annoying to draw wireframe/geometry especially arcs
    - Cannot extend a line once it is drawn
    - Cannot pick a drawn point for where a hole center is located
    o Often cannot select drawn geometry for a tool to follow (“Entity not found”)
    - Sometimes an error regarding file saving might pop up and if it does, all functions within Edgecam are impossible. Clicking will not result in anything, and the program must be shut down from the task manager
    - “Internal errors” with no possibility of troubleshooting; functions are aborted with no explanation
    - On the default vertical mill post, some feed rates default to 950 IPM for no reason at all
    o As well, this post ignores fixed axes for tool changes (moves all 3 home no matter what)
    o Move tool home doesn’t generate a G28 Z0, it just moves Z to ~24”
    - Green dots appear all over the part in the stock layer when stock is updated. These serve absolutely no purpose to the user and get in the way of selecting geometry
    - Cannot change direction/angle of cuts on face mill or parallel lace
    - Selected geometry on many cycles cannot be changed after the fact and must be deleted if any changes wish to be made
    - Any changes made to the appearance (hiding of toolpaths, machine, fixtures, tools, etc.) will be undone when the file is closed
    - When using “reload solid,” sometimes the new one will not line up, and if you try to move it, you will not be able to because it says, “cycles need to be regenerated” no matter what
    o You will be prompted to reselect geometry but they cycle in question is not specified, so you are left to select geometry blindly
    - When using the “edge loop” feature (similar to curve edges in MasterCAM), non-connecting edges will require you to use edge loop once for each segment that is not attached
    - Sometimes when toolpaths are made not visible, they cannot be turned back on
    - When browsing files, you can’t type the directory, it’s only drop-down menus
    - When defining a tool, max spindle speed is ignored and changes anything above 10,000 to 9999 RPM

Re: Avoid EdgeCAM at all costs!

sounds like an awful expensive 2 months for 3 software packages . What was wrong with the other 2 software's

Resellers are pretty useless and many don't know the software they are selling so you won't get much help from resellers. There job is to extract as much money from your wallet as possible so they will help with the post processor for the right price. For the software bugs you'll most likely have to deal with Edgecam directly and wait for a service pack.

Cool Re: Avoid EdgeCAM at all costs!

Hello!

I have been using Edgecam for several years now. And there is some bugs... But Vero software, that`s making Edgecam, has come with two software release each year (Edgecam R1 and Edgecam R2) And they also come with up to 10-15 Service updates for them.
    So Edgecam is a program that is keeping forward with newer things and updates, that also causes bugs....

Some of the bugs you are telling here, picking entities etc.. may causes by a bad graphic card driver. So try to check for some new/better drivers.

The resellers, I have been told on the forum here that the resellers many places are very bad. Im from Norway, and i need to tell you people that i think we have the best reseller for Vero/Edgecam. They are amazing!
    BUT, if you have problem with the resellers, TALK TO VERO SOFTWARE! tell them what problems you have!

Contact Vero Software | Vero Software

I use Edgecam almost every day in the week, and i have a perfect job (for me with modelling, programming and machining. And i love Edgecam.
    It is some bugs, but every program has that.
    Vero have a system that customers can report bugs or problems to them to fix the issues.

Sorry for hearing that you don`t get help. But try to contact Vero, and tell everything!

Greetings from Robert.
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

Quote Originally Posted by smegger View Post
    My first post here. I've been programming at my new job for two months now, and went away on training but no matter how much I use it, I can't warm up to it. I started with MasterCAM, then Gibbs, but EdgeCAM takes the cake for works CAM software I've ever had the misfortune of using.

If any of you are professional programmers, here is what you'll have to look forward to on the 3 axis package. I realize I'm using the default post but my local reseller hasn't been willing to help me set up a post for my machine.

- Sometimes an error regarding file saving might pop up and if it does, all functions within Edgecam are impossible. Clicking will not result in anything, and the program must be shut down from the task manager
    - “Internal errors” with no possibility of troubleshooting; functions are aborted with no explanation
    - On the default vertical mill post, some feed rates default to 950 IPM for no reason at all
    o As well, this post ignores fixed axes for tool changes (moves all 3 home no matter what)
    - Green dots appear all over the part in the stock layer when stock is updated. These serve absolutely no purpose to the user and get in the way of selecting geometry
    - Selected geometry on many cycles cannot be changed after the fact and must be deleted if any changes wish to be made
    - Any changes made to the appearance (hiding of toolpaths, machine, fixtures, tools, etc.) will be undone when the file is closed
    - When using “reload solid,” sometimes the new one will not line up, and if you try to move it, you will not be able to because it says, “cycles need to be regenerated” no matter what
    o You will be prompted to reselect geometry but they cycle in question is not specified, so you are left to select geometry blindly
    - When using the “edge loop” feature (similar to curve edges in MasterCAM), non-connecting edges will require you to use edge loop once for each segment that is not attached
    - When defining a tool, max spindle speed is ignored and changes anything above 10,000 to 9999 RPM
    Hi
    1. use the arc dialog command, it's fairly straight forward
    2. Extend a line by using Trim first, because in order to extend a line you need something to extend to.
    3. Hover over the drawn point and press F to retain it.
    4. Right click and make sure intellisnap is turned on.
    5. Is normally a file location/ network problem. If it's freezing, activate a PCI and it normally unfreezes it.
    6. Internal errors are to do with incorrect selections within cycles. (asking it to do something that can't be done e.g. milling past the depth of a blind pocket)
    7. sounds like your post is set for hi feeds at rapids.
    8. When selecting move to tool change, lock the x and y. (to make it modal, right click the modifier and select customize)
    9. in the code wizard, go to rapid to toolchange and insert G91 G28 Z0.0
    10. The green dots you see are the points of the stl stock model. Try shading the stock.
    11. yes you can. Alter the angular modifier and the left/right options.
    12. course it can, either clear out what's already selected with the reset all picks or just press the reselect within the cycle
    13. This is because your template is set to show all these features in the first place. Saving should sort it out.
    14. If the solid has been modified on your alignment faces, it can't line up. You can still align it using the initial alignment command. Click the auto regen button to off.
    15. In preferences select highlight instructions and they will go yellow when the regen stops.
    16. Try using profile from edges instead of loops, if the model is of poor quality, use geometry from edges to create a 2d wireframe.
    17. Right click the tool and press display layer, or press stop on the simulation if display all set ups has been turned off
    18. seems fine to me
    19. this is because you have 9999 set in your post and have use max rpm from code generator active..

20...Either, Stay away from cam systems or Invest in some training and Learn to use the software before you condemn it, as you'll find it can cope with any job you throw at it if you know what you're doing.

Thanks Phil!

That was a nice reply
    I use a lot of time to understand Edgecam too, but here in Norway we got very good service that take care of us

But if you have some questions Smegger, just feel free to ask!

Greetings from Robert.
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vegabond View Post
    Thanks Phil!

That was a nice reply
    I use a lot of time to understand Edgecam too, but here in Norway we got very good service that take care of us

But if you have some questions Smegger, just feel free to ask!

Greetings from Robert.
    I'd do him a post as well, but he'd probably want it done for nothing as it sounds like he's using pirate software.

Thank you for the very detailed reply. It's getting better, I must admit. As for training, I attended a 4 day course but it was nowhere near in-depth enough for what I need it for. My main complaint is just that edgecam is not intuitive/user-friendly enough. I like to think I have a pretty firm grasp on programming and I was able to pick up fusion 360 within a few hours, but maybe edgecam and I are both just too stubborn.

EDGECAM!! Well where to start. I used EdgeCAM for approximately 10 years during my employment and it wasn't user friendly at all, but by the end I became a reasonable programmer to get it to do as I wanted, very frustrating at times.
    CAM section was OK but the drawing section seamed to go against the grain of "normal software" (have used Apollo/Domain
    system,AutoCAD and Solidworks). but EdgeCAM is in a league all its own.
    Cheers Denis

Quote Originally Posted by smegger View Post

Sorry you've had such a hard time. I've been using it for 4 years. All the things you listed it won't do, IT WILL. I will admit it is very different for mastercam but If you would like to know how to solve some of your issues I would be happy to tell you how to do it. (no I do not work for ,or have any connection to Vero corp)I work fulltime at an FAA repair station and do design and cam in my own buisness

My My research indicates it was EdgeCam that bought out the SurfCam products from the original developers. Many of these software packages has one or two gems in the program, the competitors would like, and rather than develop, they buy. Is there anyone with history on these 2 products?
    Steve C

Quote Originally Posted by Vegabond View Post
    Hello!

I have been using Edgecam for several years now. And there is some bugs... But Vero software, that`s making Edgecam, has come with two software release each year (Edgecam R1 and Edgecam R2) And they also come with up to 10-15 Service updates for them.
    So Edgecam is a program that is keeping forward with newer things and updates, that also causes bugs....

Some of the bugs you are telling here, picking entities etc.. may causes by a bad graphic card driver. So try to check for some new/better drivers.

The resellers, I have been told on the forum here that the resellers many places are very bad. Im from Norway, and i need to tell you people that i think we have the best reseller for Vero/Edgecam. They are amazing!
    BUT, if you have problem with the resellers, TALK TO VERO SOFTWARE! tell them what problems you have!

Contact Vero Software | Vero Software

I use Edgecam almost every day in the week, and i have a perfect job (for me with modelling, programming and machining. And i love Edgecam.
    It is some bugs, but every program has that.
    Vero have a system that customers can report bugs or problems to them to fix the issues.

Sorry for hearing that you don`t get help. But try to contact Vero, and tell everything!

Greetings from Robert.

i have edgecam older version 2007 but for some reason i can not find mill option it only shows turn

why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by FritziAnn View Post
    My My research indicates it was EdgeCam that bought out the SurfCam products from the original developers. Many of these software packages has one or two gems in the program, the competitors would like, and rather than develop, they buy. Is there anyone with history on these 2 products?
    Steve C
    I have used Surfcam for 20 years and for the last year been getting used to Edgecam. Yes Vero indeed bough surfcam and after that they introduced Surfcam Evo which is basically Edgecam with Surfcam labels. Edgecam is definitely better with large files beecause it uses solids, as surfcam uses just surfaces and makes large files very slow to handle.
    Surfcam (Traditional as it is now sold as) on the other hand beat Edgecam hands down on wireframe drawing and speed you can get code out. With Edgecam (assuming with other solid based CAMs as well) you have certain steps you have to go through before you can start programming. With Surfcam you are basically ready to go as soon as you have file open.
    It's also a lot better for people who are just getting in to CAM world. Very easy to learn and capable of doing everything you need all the way up to 5 axis stuff. If your files are not large and complicated with hundreds of surfaces, I would go with Surfcam, no matter what people say about it, it is just so fast and does pretty much everything all the other CAMs do as well. And wireframe and and boudary creation is just so much better than Edgecam.
    As far as I can see, Edgecam has not adopted anything from surfcam which is a shame, because I see it would benefit from lot of function Surfcam has.

I have programmed with Surfcam traditional for 20+ years .
    I was told by Edgecam sales that this transition to edgecam would be seamless.
    WRONG!
    I bought 5 axis , 3 axis and millturn .
    HUGH mistake !
    Do NOT ever purchase this POS.
    I ended up throwing this software in the garbage.
    They never supplied posts after 5 months .
    My I,T, department bought a smoking hot computer that exceeded Edgecam recommandations .
    This software would sit and render forever , edgecam support is horrible .
    It felt like I was talking to some guy at his dining room table in his pajamas.
    You cannot post just one toolpath in a setup section without a dog and pony show .
    Their support videos are useless ( outdated ).
    Run away from this software and do not look back.
    Just my 2 cents

Moonshine
    Seems to me you didn't bother to learn the software and maybe rightly so assumed it would be like Surfcam.
    Seriously why would you think different cam programmers would make the same process for machining?

My background in cad is Cadkey, AutoCad, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Solidworks, Pro E, Fusion360.
    Cam software I have used is of course EdgeCam as well as AlphaCam, CamBam, Bobcad, Fusion360, did some testing in MasterCam and SurfCam.
    I have done or do currently, wire edm, 3 axis, 4 axis and 5 axis machines.

I have been using EdgeCam since 1999 and don't seem to have those issues.
    The largest model, came for Inventor, imported into EdgeCam is 52" x 128" with over 60 holes, 25 pockets and 12 features that had to be machined with surfacing .001 step over .003 depth of cut for a total of .6" deep.
    Processing time was maybe a minute on a I3 with 8g of ram Nvida Gforce 510 so not sure what was happening in your case.

While I can't say I have used Surfcam much, I can say I have used it on a friend machine for a few days and I thought it was horrible.
    I crashed the program so much I thought it was a feature after a while.

I have created automation for Edgecam that takes in XML data or a CSV file and creates the machining on the fly.
    I have created a post that uses the basic mill license to do 4 axis work to pair with the automation in EdgeCam.
    Using their post wizard makes it easy to make your own posts.

Done basically the same for AlphaCam, i do find AC harder to use for some things though.

So my point to this is the software is what you make of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit forgot to add 2 axis lathe work HF4 and HF2 in EC.

i 100% agree
    edgecam is not user friendly at all..it has one of the worse interfaces i have ever used and this is not just my opinion

relative to other softtware it is horrible interface and way too complicated and hard to understand unless you take a training class for it

i use vectric aspire and artcam and enroute..which are good enough for me and i can understand it

for the home hobbyist edgecam should be tossed in the trash..for the professional that has time on the job to learn it or be trained that may be a diff story.

I am a longtime Mastercam user that has also used Esprit, Partmaker, HSMworks and even Bobcad. I went to work for a new employer that pushed Edgecam because one of our other locations (in Europe)used it. I gave it an honest effort. What a disaster! God awful interface, more data input for basic functions than I have ever had to input before (move to toolchange? seriously?). We use absolute main programs with incremental subroutines and Edgecam could not give me a postprocessor to generate that type of code (waited more than 2 months for an answer, BTW). Our processes did not suit their "automation". If you go outside of their "workflow", good luck. An absolute waste of $20K. Don't even get me started on US support.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine26 View Post
    I have programmed with Surfcam traditional for 20+ years .
    I was told by Edgecam sales that this transition to edgecam would be seamless.
    WRONG!
    I bought 5 axis , 3 axis and millturn .
    HUGH mistake !
    Do NOT ever purchase this POS.
    I ended up throwing this software in the garbage.
    They never supplied posts after 5 months .
    My I,T, department bought a smoking hot computer that exceeded Edgecam recommandations .
    This software would sit and render forever , edgecam support is horrible .
    It felt like I was talking to some guy at his dining room table in his pajamas.
    You cannot post just one toolpath in a setup section without a dog and pony show .
    Their support videos are useless ( outdated ).
    Run away from this software and do not look back.
    Just my 2 cents
    Your experience mirrors mine. I too have been performing CAD/CAM work for over 20 years and have never experienced software this bad or a company this unresponsive to their customers needs. Hexagon US is a JOKE!

In the MasterCam and SurfCam test, what do you find special? I often have problems using Surfcam, do you have any experience to fix some of these problems? cookie clicker

Good article! I have read many meaningful contributions. I have an idea about cookie clicker unblocked