585,992 active members*
5,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Looking for Round Spacers 3/8" Dia x 1.75" Long w/ Drilled Core

Looking for Round Spacers 3/8" Dia x 1.75" Long w/ Drilled Core

I decided to post this here because it's something that apparently isn't designed and manufactured for some reason.

Okay, long story short, I make a product that requires round spacers that are approx 3/8" in dia and that are 1.75" in length. The spacers are female at both ends, and they are drilled and tapped with #10-24 all the way through. Current material is 6061 aluminum.

Right now we make these ourselves from 3/8" aluminum round stock since we can't find them in the correct size and length. They are fairly labor intensive to make since we don't have automated machinery to make them. They have to be done by hand, or actually, in a manual lathe.

I'm looking for a source where I could buy them in bulk instead of making them ourselves, but there doesn't seem to be anyone that makes them in the length that we need.

There are a few areas where I can budge as far as materials and dimensions IF I can find someone who makes them. Here's the areas where I can make some accommodations:

-I'd consider going as much as 1/16" smaller in diameter or as much as 1/8" larger in diameter (so basically anywhere from 5/16" to 1/2" dia).
    -I'd consider using steel or other metal in place of aluminum. (Plastic won't work, too flexible).
    -I'd consider other shapes instead of round such as hex, square, or whatever.
    -If they aren't available in 1.75" length, I can always buy them a bit longer and trim them down.
    -Ideally they would be pre-drilled and tapped using either #10-24 or #10-32 thread. I would consider buying them with smaller dia bore and re-drilling them to fit #10 screws. For example, if they were bored and tapped for a #6-32 screw, I would be okay with re-drilling/tapping them for #10 screws. They basically just need to have a hollow core of some kind so we don't have to drill a solid piece.
    -I would also consider using a #12 screw instead of #10 if they can be found that way.
    -Lastly, if nothing else, I would consider purchasing something like extruded aluminum round stock in (for example) 6 foot lengths, AS LONG AS it has a small enough hollow bore that can be drilled to size and tapped for #10 or #12 screw.

I am looking to purchase a quantity of anywhere from 500 up to 1000 pieces. I would appreciate any help with info on a supplier for pre-made parts, or even someone who could extrude a hollow aluminum or steel tube with a bore of appropriate size for tapping for #10 or #12 screws. I doubt that I would pay more than $3 per piece, meaning each 3/8" x 1.75" individual part, since that would exceed the current budget.

Thanks!
    He is more machine now than man.....

Try these people (I have not used them) W.J. Roberts, Inc.: 3/8" Round Standoffs
    They show 10-32 thread as an option. I would think they can do plain or 10-24 for you.

Sorry, I just saw that they show a max tapped through length of 1 1/4".

Mcmaster has aluminum ones 1.75, 10-32 in 5/8 hex for $1.73.
    You could turn those down to 1/2" but it'd be a PITA.

Matt

McMaster-Carr has them in 2" length, to cut to length you need. McMaster-Carr

Thanks to all for the help. I'll have to digest the info, but there are some good leads here.

Another idea is to get this tubing, cut to length you need. Then since it has a hole already, it could be held in a V-block and vise to drill tap-drill size and then tapped in the vise V-block set up in a drill press. McMaster-Carr

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    Another idea is to get this tubing, cut to length you need. Then since it has a hole already, it could be held in a V-block and vise to drill tap-drill size and then tapped in the vise V-block set up in a drill press. McMaster-Carr
    Awesome! This might just be what I was looking for. The most time consuming part is the drilling so this might just work. The alloy and hardness seems acceptable so I'll just have to give it a try. Looks like I'd have to run a #25 drill bit through the bore to open it up a bit. Closest size was .145" bore (with a 3/8" OD) which can be easily opened up with a #25 extended length drill bit once it has been cut and trimmed to size.

If this doesn't work out, I have had a few other leads and offers from other machines shops that will do the work, but at a fairly steep price compared to the cost of the raw material, so I'm definitely going to give this a shot first.

Possibly interesting side note and a bit of a rant regarding McMaster-Carr: While McMaster-Carr has some really cool and unique stuff, I had given up on McMaster-Carr a while back because they refused to send me a printed catalog saying they were "reserved" or something like that. In fact, they were fairly rude about it so I had written them off. I even offered to pay for a catalog, as I have with other suppliers (like $20 with KBC for a catalog). I spend so much time on the computer that sometimes I just like to thumb through a printed catalog while sitting in my recliner looking for parts. They mentioned that their entire catalog was online, but again, sometimes just like to look through a printed catalog. Since KBC, Enco/MSC, Graingers, and others have no problem sending me printed catalogs, I usually use them instead. I spend tens of thousands of dollars a year with each of those suppliers, so McMaster-Carr, if you are listening, sometimes it's worth sending a printed catalog, especially when your potential customer offers to pay you for it!

Okay, enough ranting. I suppose I'll have to bite my tongue and order some of this tubing from them.

Thanks again to all for the leads.

Don't feel bad about the catalog I worked for GM and they couldn't even get them. They were locked up in the foreman's office and you had to use them there!