Excuse me ; I am a new member. I saw where some were discussing about steam engine design. I was looking for knowledge about a 20 H.P. piston valve steam engine by Mike Brown. I have been under way with machining of the castings and various parts from stock raw materials. I purchased the drawings and castings as a kit while he had offered them; which he had discontinued doing because he now makes the engines complete and sells just them himself. There were a few changes of the design which he notified me of one particularly and accomidated me for . It has been difficult to communicate with him; lack of response. This is a new design and I haven't heard of a running track record for proven endurance. Because of a no. of changes ; a few problems I am concerned about proceeding and finding out there are other problems. I wouldn't mind knowing of these before I finished the engine. Thanks for your input
shopbuilder
Just an added note; this is not near the engine which powered large industrial usages. It is not a toy though; It weighs over 170 lbs. It seems to be a nice design ; twin 90 deg. cyl. 3 x 4 . Is supposed to have 200 ft. lbs. torque at 200 psi. , in other words, it will do some work. If someone could offer some knowledge on this one I would just be glad for that.
There are signs all over in this state which I live of steam history. Old stationary locomotive type boilers with trees growing around them , and sometimes through them. Steam engines attached to winches dynamos etc,; half sunk in the earth from long time there.
When the price of oil began to rise again a couple of years ago I began to think about developing some old technology, for an alternative source to do some work , instead of just waiting for the state of our dollar to consume me.
Even if only some part time use would practically be available; It is something that may make a difference. There is a lot of firewood for use.

By the way I have been getting a sense of the cnczone mannerisms. I get that I am a 'chip sweeper'. Someone asked me recently if I kept my shop space swept. I said, not very good lately. You'd have to see this improvised shop space where I have been doing industrial business for the last eight years to understand. Which is how I chose shopbuilder for a user name. I am presently under construction of a real building. Once again; you'd have to have knowledge of this.

I first began to sweep chips in 1974.