584,842 active members*
4,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach 3 - best type of switch for override control of feed and spindle speed.

Mach 3 - best type of switch for override control of feed and spindle speed.

Greetings,

I am using MACH3 with an ESS Smooth Stepper for my router. I will be adding a digital to analog board to control the spindle speed via Mach to replace my current panel mounted POT.

Along with that change, I want to create a basic operator panel for the machine, on the panel, I plan to have the following controls:

E-Stop
    Cycle start momentary switch and an LED to indicate state
    Feed hold momentary switch and an LED to indicate state
    Single block toggle switch and an LED to indicate state

I have integrated these types of controls in the past and don't foresee problems, however, I have tried and failed years ago trying to ad overrides.

For the overrides, I would like to use rotary encoder switches. Assuming those would work, how would I take the input from them and integrate that in MACH3?

Chris D

Re: Mach 3 - best type of switch for override control of feed and spindle speed.

A Rotary encoder would be fine, although most of the FRO and SRO knobs I have used on CNC's are multi position selector switches. There is likely no reason you need finer resolution than maybe 10 steps increasing and decreasing the override in 10% increments. These chew up a fair bit of digital I/O, but are simple and reliable.

I personally don't like analog potentiometers for industrial control systems as you have to fiddle with them to hit your desired setting and they can be easily bumped out of position.

Re: Mach 3 - best type of switch for override control of feed and spindle speed.

Thanks!

Chris D