585,708 active members*
3,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Door Interlock

1st off- We use an EmcoTurn 320 with Fanuc O-T control.

Our shop's new safety consultant decided to turn on all of the door interlocks on our machines without asking any of us about how this was attempted yearsbefore and it did not work. D/I is fine for operators, but this makes setting upl jobs impossible becasue we cant even jog the machines or turn on the spindle in MDI for touching off tooling or any of the many other reasons that setup people need to see what they are doing to prevent crashes or troubleshoot problems. we were on the verge of having them removed when she quit so now we are stuck with jogging close to where we guess the part is blindly and running the 1st pc and slowly offsetting until we finally make enough of a cut to adjust. not only do setups take several hours now, but there have been many severe crashes casuing alot of downtime.

its a longer story but here is the question: is there a parameter like in Mazaks that setup people can temporarly disable the door interlocks? or is this something that is hard wired into these machines.

I took the door interlock key off the door and measured it out and had some cut out on our laser.

Now whenever the need arises we take the key out of our toolbox and put it in the switch. I only gave one guy in our shop a copy of it for his personal use.

You have to be careful that it does not fall into the wrong hands thou.

or is this something that is hard wired into these machines.
    Yes its hard wired but for your machine to "react" to it, there has to be something in the "parameters". Otherwise, it would be no more than a on/off situation.
    Most machines have a parameter or a bit you can force to "ignore" the door interlocks. FANUC doesn't create this (other than on their own equipment), but they provide an avenue for the OEM to use. So, with that said, its just a matter of reading your electrical books. It's all in there. Find the circuit, follow the ladder, find the bit that's looking for it. No need for a lasered key, sheet metal key, cut off the wires, dangle the interlock from the door while being taped together, etc, etc. Keeps everything "legit".... and keeps the operators from screwing around on the machines. If I see them with a door key, I know its not ours and I destroy it.
    The thing to watch for is making sure of the interlock you're shutting off. Some interlocks are specific to a single door, some are for a number of doors, some are for all doors.

Other than that, do as alot of places do... cut the wires, make a sheet metal key, unbolt the key and attach it to the interlock so it doesn't come out, etc, etc.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

thanks, ill begin reading today.

On our Fanuc 0i-M machines it is a K-bit that has to be toggled under the PMC parameters. The address is K0002.7 for the door interlock and K0002.6 for the spindle. If you need claification on how to get to these addresses let me know. Hope this helps.

door interlocks

I have found out that it is best to change the keeper relay.
    like the guy before me wrote...
    systems- parameter- pmc-keeper- 2.5 for our fanuc Oi-mate.
    it differs for every machine builder.
    email me and I'll suggest the best way i found out for each machine we have.
    good luck and keep your fingers in tact!!!