584,814 active members*
5,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Closed Loop Belt for z-axis Question

Question Closed Loop Belt for z-axis Question

A new member here and I apologize if this post is in the wrong section. If it is please direct me to the correct one.
    I am building a three axis machine out of steel using Arduino and 4 large high torque Nema 23 stepper motors (425). I am running 2 half inch 5 start lead screws for the X-axis, one for the Y, and one 8mm 4 start screw for the z axis. I would like to center the weight over the gantry by mounting the heavy Nema 23 vertically along the back of the gantry trolley and running a closed loop belt to a pulley rotating the 8mm lead screw. The belt would span about 4 inches over the top of the gantry. My idea was to run a 20 tooth 6.35mm bore pulley off of the motor shaft and connect it to the lead screw using a 50 tooth 8mm bore pulley using said closed loop belt. I am estimating that the weight to be lifted (router/z axis components) will be about 13 pounds. Does this sound like a feasible option? This is my first cnc build... i suppose i should mention that...

Re: Closed Loop Belt for z-axis Question

Apologize for the picture being rotated. Not sure why it came in that way. Edit: I fixed it