585,753 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > Output voltage from Output Board seems to be quite low?

Output voltage from Output Board seems to be quite low?

Hello folks,

Over the weekend I managed to get relay 2 and 3 controlling my servo motor and its direction using a Mk3/9-axis controller along with an output board.

I have a shielded 2-core cable connected t othe 0-10v and ground which in turn powers the speed control of my servo.

However, when testing the output with a multi-meter I only get about 1.7-2.3V's out of the +ve line... thus my AC Servo motor (and driver) only spins up to about 850.... now there must be a little bit of noise going through the output board, as the voltage swings a little, but the RPM changes are round the 850-837-865 mark, which I can cope with.

I have not yet ran a shielded line for POWER IN (or GROUND), but mesuring the power on the terminal registers 12.6 or 12.7 (on a second test) and stays constant, so I am not worried there.

The 12VDC is coming from a transformer that is 12V/16.5A and it is not controlling/charging/powering anything else.

I have tried testing with 1 relay on and looking at the multi-meter, with 2 relays on and with no relays on.... seems to make no difference to the voltage output.

One other thing I find kinda interesting is when I apply the +ve line for the multimeter to the +ve terminal and NOT connect the GND line to GND, the voltage roughly doubles coming out of the output board? I assume based on the resister it has to pass is causing some sort of extra current on the +ve point?

Any thoughts or advice on how to get the max power output?

I have tried 400, 800 and 1200 hz as the frequency setting which makes no change...
    I have also set the minimum speed to 0 or 200, and the max to 6000

However, when I sent M3 s1000 or s6000 it seems to make little to no difference to the voltage out from the output board.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Chris

Re: Output voltage from Output Board seems to be quite low?

Quote Originally Posted by cdfleischmann View Post
    Hello folks,

Over the weekend I managed to get relay 2 and 3 controlling my servo motor and its direction using a Mk3/9-axis controller along with an output board.

I have a shielded 2-core cable connected t othe 0-10v and ground which in turn powers the speed control of my servo.

However, when testing the output with a multi-meter I only get about 1.7-2.3V's out of the +ve line... thus my AC Servo motor (and driver) only spins up to about 850.... now there must be a little bit of noise going through the output board, as the voltage swings a little, but the RPM changes are round the 850-837-865 mark, which I can cope with.

I have not yet ran a shielded line for POWER IN (or GROUND), but mesuring the power on the terminal registers 12.6 or 12.7 (on a second test) and stays constant, so I am not worried there.

The 12VDC is coming from a transformer that is 12V/16.5A and it is not controlling/charging/powering anything else.

I have tried testing with 1 relay on and looking at the multi-meter, with 2 relays on and with no relays on.... seems to make no difference to the voltage output.

One other thing I find kinda interesting is when I apply the +ve line for the multimeter to the +ve terminal and NOT connect the GND line to GND, the voltage roughly doubles coming out of the output board? I assume based on the resister it has to pass is causing some sort of extra current on the +ve point?

Any thoughts or advice on how to get the max power output?

I have tried 400, 800 and 1200 hz as the frequency setting which makes no change...
    I have also set the minimum speed to 0 or 200, and the max to 6000

However, when I sent M3 s1000 or s6000 it seems to make little to no difference to the voltage out from the output board.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Chris
    What is the Drive and motor spec's that you have, you don't normally control a AC servo motor from a Relay output
    Mactec54

Re: Output voltage from Output Board seems to be quite low?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What is the Drive and motor spec's that you have, you don't normally control a AC servo motor from a Relay output
    All good... lots of trial and error, but I eventually got it to work changing the output board to another and changing the IDC cable.

I am now checking to see if it was a faulty ribbon cable or a faulty output board.