584,808 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New Build/PM30-MV Mill/Acorn/DMM DYN4-.75KW X/Y/Z SERVO/1.8KW DMM SERVO SPINDLE
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: New Build/PM30-MV Mill/Acorn/DMM DYN4-.75KW X/Y/Z SERVO/1.8KW DMM SERVO SPINDLE

Quote Originally Posted by tapirath View Post
    Is there a reason that you went with brakes for the Z axis instead of gas spring? I'm planning a similar build and brakes just seems to be not necessary.
    If using linear rail, ballscrews and servos, there's almost no friction to keep the head in place. A brake is needed even with a well matched gas spring or counterweight.

Re: New Build/PM30-MV Mill/Acorn/DMM DYN4-.75KW X/Y/Z SERVO/1.8KW DMM SERVO SPINDLE

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    If using linear rail, ballscrews and servos, there's almost no friction to keep the head in place. A brake is needed even with a well matched gas spring or counterweight.
    I'm planning to use AC servos so this worries me a little bit. Can you elaborate on that or maybe point to a thread where it was discussed? To me, logic says a well balanced head will stay where it stays if the counterweight/force is good enough.
    I have never done this though so probably I'm missing something. I have seen threads where it's bashed and threads like this where it's recommended so I'm a bit confused.

Update: I reached the point of no return: I cut the base and thus voided the 3 year warranty. Though I think I already did that by dismantling the PM30-MV.
    I posted a new YouTube vid linked here. This is where I cut 56 mm out of the base for an 11.5 in Y travel. I also cut a larger clearance hole for the 20 mm Ball screw that is Flipped in the Y -Direction. Finally, I cut a lower hole in the base for clearance of the 20mm ball screw and nut. Check out the Cad YouTube Video few posts back for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_CdX3md8I

What are your thoughts on the servo driving the spindle? Suppose you need to run a large face mill or something and need low rpm, how well does the DMM Servo perform at say, 75 rpm vs. 1500 rpm as far as torque is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by tapirath View Post
    I'm planning to use AC servos so this worries me a little bit. Can you elaborate on that or maybe point to a thread where it was discussed? To me, logic says a well balanced head will stay where it stays if the counterweight/force is good enough.
    I have never done this though so probably I'm missing something. I have seen threads where it's bashed and threads like this where it's recommended so I'm a bit confused.
    Sorry, missed your response way back when.
    Head weight will vary a bit between having no collet or drawbar in it vs having a big face mill installed. Also, depending upon the type of spring, the spring rate won't be constant over the Z height and may change over time (an air spring may push up as the air in it heats up, or will lose force as some air leaks out.) I guess a counterweight shouldn't have any of the spring issues, but still may have an issue with different weights of the head.

Page 3 of 3 123