584,865 active members*
4,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Learning about Fadal and Ebay ads

Learning about Fadal and Ebay ads

I will eventually buy a Fadal for my home shop...I have been reading and watching videos non-stop for three weeks! I have the operators manuals, etc....anyway Maybe I have learned enough to be suspicious, there is an ebay ad for a VMC15, mfg date is 2001, but has a CNC88, and NOT a CNC88HS?!? Has this been swapped? I thought they stopped making the older CNC88 at some point. Would a machine of this vintage have a CNC88?

Thanks in advance

Re: Learning about Fadal and Ebay ads

Here is another ad that begs the question...where is the oiler? DId they make a grease only VMC15? This one is a 94 model, but it seems to be missing the oiler?!?

Attachment 398124

They could have replaced the cards making it a cnc88hs. They are selling that one out of South Carolina and I think you can negotiate the price down to normal. Otherwise it looks good I considered purchasing it but I need a bigger machine. Just make sure it actually has the 88hs when you go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by leversole View Post
    Here is another ad that begs the question...where is the oiler? DId they make a grease only VMC15? This one is a 94 model, but it seems to be missing the oiler?!?

Attachment 398124
    The earlier vmc15 were grease only with grease points under the table.

Quote Originally Posted by leversole View Post

Attachment 398124
    Hi, They did make grease only VMC15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UmAf9i4lQ&t=23s

I've converted my 3016 to grease only.
    pete

Thanks for the info! Still learning! I thought I had seen ALL of AtMan's videos!

Any machine with a 88 control and not 88HS is a mid 93 or earlier. To make them faster Fadal machined the column to accept the Metric pitch ballscrews and eventually got away from DC motors. So there are alot of old machines with new paint or decals sold as a 1994 or newer but they are not unless the column was machined and the ballscrews went metric, axis cards and PDI oiler updated and spindle drive. BE WEARY of any Fadal with a silver monitor panel that says CNC88. They are most likely much older technology. The best Fadals were built between 1994 and 2007 with the fastest of them from 1997-2007. The highest memory from 1999-2007. There are upgrades to the control but the RPM of the servo and the ballscrew pitch do not change.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

I just noticed on this one, there are no air solenoids, didn't all machines have air blast for the spindle taper?

Whats the serial number stamped on the Fadal plate , That will tell you the year . Even after a machine is rebuilt they dont usually reSerial them. But if the control panel says 88 not 88HS it is definately not a 2001. So if the serial number starts with 94 that would be a 1994

If you are looking for a guide to show you the serial number scheme for Fadals, we have a guide in our Tech Docs section of our web. The serial numbers changed in 2000. The information from CarbideCraters is very informational.

FadalCNC Tech Support