I had the VFD used in the pre-1994 (Pre Mori Seiki, Pre made in Alabama) HiTec Turn 20 SII go bad on my lathe. It is a Yaskawa Juspeed F CIMR37AS2 - 1028 and not being able to repair it myself I was looking for a replacement. In my research I discovered pretty much any other VFD could be used in this position since the turret uses a simple timer and proximity switches to index. The on/off signals and speed are pretty much all that are necessary. I chose to retrofit on a Yaskawa V1000 (CIMR-VU-2A0020FAA) since it appeared to be the same specs and could be had on eBay for a lot cheaper than a direct replacement.

Wiring as follows:

Hitachi labels <-> V1000 labels

To Potentiometer:
VRC - A1
VRP - +V
0V - AC

To Machine:
0V - MC
0V - SC
X92 - MB
Y42 - S1
Y46 - N/A
Y47 - S2

I'm sure everyone knows how to do the motor wiring. Mine went backwards when I wired it up the way the labels made sense with the v1000, no other changes. Interesting.

And V1000 parameters:
b1-01 = 1 , use 0-10V for speed
b1-02 = 1 , 2wire setting 42,43
b1-04 = 0

c1-01 to c1-04 are the accel decel times, I tried setting them to the correct values based on the old pot positions then realized it worked better when set to 0 for all. Attempt instant accel/decel. I think this is how the CIMRxxxxx VFD was actually operating

E1-04 = 60

H1-01 = 42 sets 2 wire fwd/rev scheme
H1-02 = 43
sets 2 wire fwd/rev scheme

H3-09 = 0 sets 0-10V signal for speed control

I then ended up with the frequency set to ~17.31Hz. But just tuned it in very slowly until it would change the maximum number of positions without a fault. You will get very good at the super-stretch reset (slide hold, select, spindle stop, e-stop) which is the only way to clear the turret error. And moving the turret positions by hand is fun too... As a side note, I also installed the V1000 with an enclosure. It doesn't quite fit so the LX3 doesn't go to its mounted position but the outer door still closes. I probably could have done a better job but it's already done and been working fine for a few months so eh...

The manual for the v1000 drive is available through googling. I'd say pretty much anyone can do this project. Keep those Hitachis on the floor.
-Brent