584,817 active members*
4,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Diemaking / Diecutting > Tripping Breaker on New Clicker Press
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Tripping Breaker on New Clicker Press

How hot is the motor after those attempts to start it.

Another point that has already been mentioned is the frequency difference, you are trying to speed up the flywheel nearly 20% faster than it would have been running in China. Also because of the 60Hz you are using the full load motor current will be reduced by a similar amount and there will be a corresponding torque drop which may not be even be enough if you were to get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by iWAYNE View Post

A video of the clicker press tripping the 30A breaker on start up.
    I see the flywheel now direct mounted between the Motor and the Pump, the starter is only 10amps and the Breaker next to it looks to be 30amp, the number on the front of the breaker which you can't see clearly is the Amp rating

That 2Hp motor should start it no problem, you may have other problems other than the wiring

[U]Did you try run this without any oil in the tank[ ??/U] If you did you would of damaged the pump, and this will be causing the extra load at starting

See if you can see the spec's on the name plate of the motor, and take a clear photo

Take the motor terminal cover off and take a clear photo, I suspect that you motor is 220v by the way it has been wired
    Mactec54

I didn't check the motor temp.
    The manufacturer now suggests I remove a solenoid in the pump (directional/check valve) to see if it helps, but I doubt that will so I'm not doing that.

I never ran it dry.
    When I ordered the press they told me it would be a week extra time building it because they needed to special order a 110v motor. So either they don't know how to rewire a convertible motor (maybe rewiring one would void the motor warranty?), or their motors are not convertible and had to order a 110v one.

The best advice I can give at this point is to hire an industrial electrician to help you out. Not every electrician has the background to solve these types of problems.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Yes, I agree but in my area it may be a slim chance of finding one with this expertise.

I sent a message to a soft start device manufacturer explaining the situation and asking for advice on getting around this issue.
    It seems to be my next best option.

Where are you located?

You really need to fix your power situation in your garage. Then rewire the machine to North American standards, the existing wiring is dangerous.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I didn't check the motor temp.
    The manufacturer now suggests I remove a solenoid in the pump (directional/check valve) to see if it helps, but I doubt that will so I'm not doing that.
    I guess the thinking on this is that it might be starting up under load, in fact it will be the opposite way round, hydraulic load is applied when the solenoid is energised. You could try turning the flywheel by hand, it should turn freely, the hydraulic oil should circulate through the valve back to the tank so and you may be able to see the oil circulating. If it does not look to see if the ram is moving. Make sure you turn it the same direction the motor turns, maybe the valve is sticking.

I never ran it dry.
    When I ordered the press they told me it would be a week extra time building it because they needed to special order a 110v motor. So either they don't know how to rewire a convertible motor (maybe rewiring one would void the motor warranty?), or their motors are not convertible and had to order a 110v one.
    Do you have a written valid warranty, not for China you don't, they will replace parts if they are faulty, and in most cases you have to return the faulty parts at your cost

That's one thing out the way, it's good that you had the oil in, the wiring is your next problem, this needs to be corrected, it's not safe they way it is wired

Is it rotating the correct way, do they have an arrow anywhere to indicate the correct rotation in the video it is under load and it should not be under load at start up, they ask you to remove the solenoid, this is a good idea, as it could be shut when it should be open, this is a good test

This would indicate wiring or a bad valve /solenoid, so you should do what they are asking
    Mactec54

A video of the clicker press tripping the 30A breaker on start up.
    I can't tell which way it is spinning in the video, but looks like it is clockwise,

It is a similar hydraulic unit I just installed from China, and It needed to spin anti-clockwise
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 3 123