584,805 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Additional tools on panther.

Hello,

I'm planning on getting a panther with all the bells and whistles.
    So with that said I already have a full wood shop and a good bit of a machine shop so space is at a premium.
    I was first looking at Laguna based on price but think the panther is a better deal overall.
    I will be getting the Indexing lathe on the pt510.
    As I had intended to buy a stand-alone from Laguna, the additional length and capacity seemed a no-brainer
    considering that puts me right in the same monetary ballpark.

I'm pretty sure I can adapt some tool holders for things like drag knife and what not.
    What I'm really curious about is if I can adapt the table for plasma cutting.
    I would assume the table top would need to be changed out and fiddling with the software or have a different package for the plasma.
    That would be awesome on the space considerations not to mention a stand-alone machines price.
    My plasma Cutters a ESAB 500pcm (If my memory serves well) I know not all cutters are cnc friendly but esab is a mostly industrial player
    so I would assume it should work.
    Would love feedback on that as well.

I'm also wondering how well the panther works on milling metals, is Steel an option ( I see they say non-ferrous metals)

TYIA FOR ANY KERNELS OF WISDOM!

Re: Additional tools on panther.

Unless you will rarely use the machine, Imo, swapping from router to plasma would be a huge pain, and not worth the aggravation.

And steel is a no go with just about any router, even those much bigger than any Camaster. Unless your OK removing .002" per pass.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Additional tools on panther.

So I suppose I'll need a CNC mill at some point for what I want to mill in steel.

I won't have the machine till sometime early next year.
    I don't have any tax liability to help offset the purchase this year.
    They don't show a whole lot online to get an Idea of what it might entail.
    So I have to ask do you have a panther or have you some experience with the model in a real-world setting?

Once I get it, I am pretty confident I can design and build some sort of Quick change tool mount.
    I don't know why they don't offer that a lot of machines are capable of such and at the price tag I think they could offer it up, even with a markup.

With 10" under the Gantry, I could also build a "quick Change" Plasma Tabletop.
    I probably would mostly be cutting 4x8 sheet metal so there would be plenty of space to slide in an auxiliary top for plasma cutting.
    Sort of like a spoiler board of sorts.

I already have a full wood shop and a good few metal working tools so "setup" is not a new concept.
    It just involves a bit of forethought to be efficient on production runs.
    I more than likely would have a punch list for either routing or PC and batch them out and only change up as needed.

I'm not doing custom work either, my projects my way and that is it!
    So logistics of what and when are not an issue.