584,846 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Axis, Linuxcnc, where is Axis?

Turning on Mach 3 the GUI is right there. Where is the GUI in linuxcnc ?
    I don't want to setup a machine , I just want to see the jog function ,if it has one, to experiment.

Re: Axis, Linuxcnc, where is Axis?

If you aren't setting up a machine then you should run a simulation and maybe read the directions at least a little

Running LinuxCNC

109jb, I think that works only with simulated hardware. I want to run some tests on an actual machine with the jogging function of linuxcnc, if it has that.

The best bet would be to download and install the Linuxcnc ISO and there should be a CNC menu at the system level to open linuxcnc. This will open a chooser type window to select your config. There are many Simulated machines you can play with.

There are two configuration programs supplied. One called stepconf which will configure a parallel port and another called pncconf to configure the popular Mesa interface cards.

It is possible to import a Mach3 XML file and it will create a config. I think that is done in stepconf.

configurations go in subfolder under the folder ~/linuxcnc/config (where ~ is your user home directory)
    Configs typically have two files. An .INI file that contains the static hardware configuration. And a .HAL file which defines how everything is "wired" together.
    stepconf and pncconf will create a new folder in the config folder and populate it with a hal and ini file. The ini file will then be listed in the chooser window.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

If you just want to tes by jogging, use stepconfig. There is a "test this axis" feature in there to test each axis and it allows jogging back and forth on each axis individually so you can set your speed, accel, microstepping,etc.

Stepper Configuration Wizard

Thanks 109jb, "test this axis" is more than likely what I need.