Hello, I have a primarily MDF-based 12" x 24" CNC machine that has worked well for the last 10 years. I use it for occasional use and cutting wood only.

Up to now I have used a small handheld trim router (Ridgid R2400) with mostly 1/8"/3.175mm shank bits. A few years ago the bearings failed. I replaced them with good quality equivalents and it was back in action but it got very hot. At the weekend the top bearing exploded and some of the ball bearings were reduced to dust.

Now I am wondering what to replace it with. I am kind of tired of the trim router approach - I rarely use my CNC machine so to have to worry about the bearings each time is a tedious pain.

I've looked at the Chinese spindles but I fear they are too heavy for my gantry. The Ridgid R2400 weighs 3lb/1.7kg and is probably about the max weight. It seems the 0.8kW spindles are 5lb in weight.

I've also looked at the Kress/AMB 800/1050 spindle. The weight is OK but it's back to brushed/bearing trim router hell I fear. Also the collet size seems to be non-standard.

I've looked at the Bosch Colt, and while the quality used to be good it seems it isn't anymore and the run out can vary.

I sometimes cut small parts with detail down to 0.2mm so low runout is a must. I bought a precision collet from Precise Bits for my Ridgid R2400.

Any other suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!

Note - I am in the UK despite what it says to the left - can't seem to change it.