584,863 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help or advice

I am having trouble with my EM3116 again. The X axis is moving twice as far as it should, so circles become ovals etc. Adjusted the PPM, pitch parameters, angle comps and so on. The values change on the screen but nothing seems to effect the mechanical actions of the mill. To fathom a guess I'd say there is a communication breakdown somewhere in the system and changes are not getting to where they need to go.

Alternatively, it might be time to seriously consider that retrofit I been contemplating for some time now. Just not sure which way to head there (Centroid, Kflop....)

Any advice on either front would be greatly appreciated

Unhappy Re: Need help or advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hytek View Post
    I am having trouble with my EM3116 again. The X axis is moving twice as far as it should, so circles become ovals etc. Adjusted the PPM, pitch parameters, angle comps and so on. The values change on the screen but nothing seems to effect the mechanical actions of the mill. To fathom a guess I'd say there is a communication breakdown somewhere in the system and changes are not getting to where they need to go.

Alternatively, it might be time to seriously consider that retrofit I been contemplating for some time now. Just not sure which way to head there (Centroid, Kflop....)

Any advice on either front would be greatly appreciated
    Did you ever get it sorted? I am having the exact same problem

Re: Need help or advice

Quote Originally Posted by agitprop View Post
    Did you ever get it sorted? I am having the exact same problem
    Being as the more serious adjustments are buried deep in the system and require specialized equipment to set up. Plus I wanted a few more modern features the factory software wouldn't support I opted for a full revamp. Not the cheapest option but at least I know it will end in happiness.

Current conversion list

DMM servo motors & drives
    Mesa controller
    22" touch display
    onboard PC
    full rewire

Conversion is currently halted at a successful bench test stage after a back injury at work. Hopefully soon I can get back into it

When I was diagnosing the fault initially I did notice some odd behaviors in the X axis feedback.
    1. It was very touchy. The slightest pressure on the handwheel would send the DRO numbers crazy.
    2. If I applied pressure to the handwheel to cause the above condition, without moving the bed, the numbers settled inaccurately to actual bed position.
    3. The signal behaved 'noisy'
    4. The issue showed up with no prior behavioral issues and was just a one day it wasn't there next day it was kind of thing.

This behavior suggests either a fault in the encoder or a fault in the wiring to that encoder. I had also swapped drivers around and the fault stayed with the X axis. Had I not already been seriously thinking of upgrading my next step was to swap a couple of motors and see where the problem was after that

Good luck! Hope this helps and I hope you get yours fixed

Thank you it does move me a little further down the line... I am gonna check the encoders with a scope

Being as you and I seem to have very similar issues this could be somewhat common. If it's not too much trouble I'd be interested in your progress. Plus it might help someone else one day.