584,846 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What happened to Benchtop Precision

What happened to Benchtop Precision

The belt drive kit on Benchtop Precision’s site has been in unavailable
    for sometime, and now the link won’t open...
    Have these kits disappeared?
    Have the demand for them dried up?

Re: What happened to Benchtop Precision

I do not know what happened to Benchtop Precision. I have sent 4 emails - wanted to buy the parts for G0704 belt drive conversion. There was no answer at all for months. G0704 parts simply disappeared from the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth4 View Post
    The belt drive kit on Benchtop Precision’s site has been in unavailable
    for sometime, and now the link won’t open...
    Have these kits disappeared?
    Have the demand for them dried up?
    Could be.
    There's a few machines now available with belt drives as standard.
    I've seen the PM25MV is getting a few mentions.

I'm hoping to have a similar (bigger) one soon to replace my modded Sieg X2:
    AMAT30LV MT3 Milling Machine
    With R8 spindle
    And then next year get the next size down (similar in size to the PM25) to replace my other Sieg.
    AMADEAL - AMAT25LV Milling Machine - Long Table - Belt Drive - Brushless Motor

(these things are all pretty much made in the same place in China and just re-badgaed)
    They're both unavailable atm because apparently there's some manufacturing restrictions been put in place over there (go figure) but are in production and will be 2 months wait apparently.
    I also looked at this one but they've said the same:
    VM32 Variable Speed Milling Machine | Belt Drive Milling Machine | Bench Mill | Quality Metalworking Mills
    This one is in stock but it's a gear head and I've decided to hold out for a belted one:
    https://www.warco.co.uk/milling-mach...g-machine.html

Or should I just get the geared machine and live with the gear noise?

Hey Guys,

The kit from benchtop precision is back: https://www.minipro.com/products/g07...15375923052617

The original size mentioned that miniPRO, LLC will now be selling the kit. G0704 Belt Drive Kit - BenchtopPrecision.com

Price seems a bit obscene to me for some ally bits and a belt. That's like 1/4 the price of a new complete machine.
    I've just paid deposit on my u.k. equivalent AMAT25LV mill, belted as standard with BLDC motor @£1200.
    2 speed of 0-1500 & 0-2800rpm.
    If I need more top end I can have the stock pulley turned down a fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Price seems a bit obscene to me for some ally bits and a belt. That's like 1/4 the price of a new complete machine.
    I've just paid deposit on my u.k. equivalent AMAT25LV mill, belted as standard with BLDC motor @£1200.
    You are free to make your own kit if you think it is too pricey.

I think the kit is priced very affordably for what you get and if I ever get my G0704 back up and running will definitely be purchasing one.

What happened to Benchtop Precision

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Yes I know! Bench top Precision should be providing these for a few bowls of rice.

When you get your machine and find the odd cross threaded hole on holes that are hand drilled so that you have a unique machine, remember it was made to a price. The price determines the quality.

So, have a guess at how long it takes Benchtop Precision to make a conversion kit. Then divide the price by the hours needed to make the kit.

It will be a low hourly rate. It’s probably the reason that they are no longer making them.

It always amazes me that some people expect high quality , low volume products for low quality, high volume prices.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    You are free to make your own kit if you think it is too pricey.

I think the kit is priced very affordably for what you get and if I ever get my G0704 back up and running will definitely be purchasing one.
    I have a sign on my shop wall:

Quality is like buying oats - if you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you have to be willing to pay a fair price. But if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, they come a little cheaper.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons - for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

It’s looking like Benchtop Precision is closed down....
    The website isn’t opening now.
    Does anyone have any news?

Check MINIPRO® | Measuring Tools for Infinite Learning™

They are now offering this kit - $380.00 US

It looks like they build to order -they take pre-orders and when they get enough they do a production run. It looks like it takes 4-8 ARO weeks before they ship.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons - for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by RTTIM View Post

It looks like they build to order -they take pre-orders and when they get enough they do a production run. It looks like it takes 4-8 ARO weeks before they ship.
    That looks EXACTLY like what Benchtop precision was selling, I’m sure it’s even the same pictures.....

Curious

The stock quill drive on these mills is trash. I want to keep the quill and have a belt drive that is actually balanced. I have seen several posts where people have machined off the gears and balances up the stock barrel.
    I want to keep all my stock parts in a box (in case I stuff this up) and machine my own barrel and multi v pulleys. The big hurdle is the internal splines.......
    I am very tempted to get a broach tool mounted in the spindle, mount the barrel in index fixture and cut away at them one at a time......
    Yup $300 and a few weeks wait looks good but this is a hobby and the challenge and learning is all part of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRve86xZbrw

Looks like this isn’t so far fetched.... and cheaper than an EDM shop
    If it gets aggressive the bearing in the spindle would suffer but I have plans for those anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth4 View Post
    That looks EXACTLY like what Benchtop precision was selling, I’m sure it’s even the same pictures.....

Curious

The stock quill drive on these mills is trash. I want to keep the quill and have a belt drive that is actually balanced. I have seen several posts where people have machined off the gears and balances up the stock barrel.
    I want to keep all my stock parts in a box (in case I stuff this up) and machine my own barrel and multi v pulleys. The big hurdle is the internal splines.......
    I am very tempted to get a broach tool mounted in the spindle, mount the barrel in index fixture and cut away at them one at a time......
    Yup $300 and a few weeks wait looks good but this is a hobby and the challenge and learning is all part of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRve86xZbrw

Looks like this isn’t so far fetched.... and cheaper than an EDM shop
    If it gets aggressive the bearing in the spindle would suffer but I have plans for those anyway.....
    It is exactly the same kit - don't know the details, but Minipro apparently acquired the manufacturing rights to it. If you scroll down the product page and download the installation manual, it's actually the original Benchtop Precision manual....

I like the link you provided - he has some other interesting videos as well......going to have to make one of those broaching/shaping tools.......

Quote Originally Posted by RTTIM View Post

All the parts I saw looked like renders rather than actual product. That would make me a bit hesitant to buy.

Hi Michael,

Can you tell me which pictures are you referring as renders? We are in the process of updating our product photos (we are still using the old benchtop precision ones).
    We posted actual photos of the kit in our social media (https://www.facebook.com/miniprousa/); thus, make sure to follow us for more updates.

Thanks,
    Jose

Jose,

I don't remember for sure now, butt this page seems to have renders for the illustrations:

https://www.minipro.com/collections/...ric-motor-dyno

On closer inspection , and because you called me on it, i See that they might actually be photos of the real items. If so - nice job! Nonetheless, at a glance they look like renders to me and that always makes me wonder if the seller actually has product to sell. If those *are* photos, maybe you could link to larger images that might make it more obvious that they are real parts.

Those dyno's are cool as hell. RC tuning is on a crazy level. 20 years ago I had a bunch of nitro trucks and spent a lot of time building shocks and tuning the chassis and was able to do so to gain great advantages. I imagine the electric world is an entirely different beast.

Benchtop Precision G0704 Kits are now back in-stock!
    Link: https://www.minipro.com/products/g0704

FYI, it is a PM-25, there is no PM-20.

Benchtop Precision, like a lot of very small companies, had a very nice quality product, but also had a very difficult time filling orders. I think I waited 3 months for my G0704 conversion kit, but when it arrived, it was superb.

I think the one big difference between this kit and others is that it includes a replacement for the spindle drive shaft, you know, the shaft at the top that has the gears on it. BP's replacement shaft extends the shaft upwards out of the top of the head so that it is easy to mount the pulley and the RPM sensor ring on it. This is why I bought this kit. I have seen no other kits that have this part. If I was building my own, that is just how I would do it.

Anyhow, it looks like they sold out to another manufacturer, so hopefully that has solved their supply chain problem. Also, I hope that it was a good deal for them because they had a great idea/product.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter123456 View Post
    FYI, it is a PM-25, there is no PM-20.
    The kit was originally for the TM20VL. The TM25VL and PM-25 was the next iteration of the mill. They both come from the same factory. My early one has gears in the head. The TM-25VL came with a belt drive. I sold the last of the Benchtop conversation kits last week.

BTW the kit for the grizzly is slightly different from the TM/PM kit.

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store