584,854 active members*
4,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 21m tool change Mdi?

Can I test my atc from Mdi? If I enter t5m6 the spindle sets position but nothing else happens. I can operate the atc manually, start/index etc so I know that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Fanuc 21m tool change Mdi?

Hey,

Yes you can but I think you first have to Home (Zero Return) your Z-axis before the T5 M6.
    Be carefull when you operate the ATC manually, some machines lose their "related" T and H values when you rotate to another pot/tool, not all but some machines do.

If I home xyz, and run atc Mdi it does nothing but hums, if I don’t home and run it z will go to home and stops, if I run a part program in auto, it runs the part until it reaches the tool change line of code and “program check” is displayed the line just shows M6;

Fanuc 21m tool change Mdi?

Here is the sub programs for 9000 and 9003, it’s setup to use the 9003 in the parameters and I never changed it, it’s set to “6”

It’s like the spindle goes to Z0.00 and will not move upward into the forbidden area to make the tool change, this is the umbrella setup.

I don’t get any alarm after about a minute it just times out with an atc alarm of 38

Wasn't this working before? Do you know what M116 is?

You say "“program check” is displayed the line just shows M6;" Are you talking about in the buffer area on the screen? Do you see any FIN (Finish) or MTN (motion command) comments anywhere?

Usually whenever a machine stoops and then times out it's because it asked something to do something and it's now waiting for confirmation that what it asked for is done.

Tool change portions of the ladder can be pretty complicated and long. There may be some proximity sensor or limit switch that's gummed up and not connecting. The ladder could show you that if you knew where to look. But honestly it almost seems like it's wanting to read the M6 in 9003 and is having trouble with it. Hope it didn't get scrambled some how.

I made my Mori use a sub like 9003 to be activated on M6 like it sounds your machine is set up to do. In that 9003 is another M6 that calls the real M6 hidden/stored/and controlled by the PMC. When an M code is called, Fanuc will look first to the special subs and macros (like 9003 etc) and do whatever is there first. Then it will move on to the PMC and do whatever is there. Like the real M6 tool change. This is just food for thought. I don't feel like I've really helped you all that much.

Loose wires? Gummed up activators? Lost PMC M6 info?

EDIT of Above:

I made my Mori use a sub like 9003 to be activated on M6 like it sounds your machine is set up to do. In that 9003 is another M6 that calls the real M6 hidden/stored/and controlled by the PMC. When an M code is called from the main program or MDI , Fanuc will look first to the special subs and macros (like 9003 etc) and do whatever is there first. But if finding another M code within a subroutine or macro, it will go straight to the PMC and do whatever is there. Like in many cases, the real M6 tool change. There is something about the way an M code assigned 9000 series Sub reacts that is very slightly different then the way an M code called 9000 series Macro one is. That difference may be important in this situation. Wish I could remember what it is. I guess if you try one and it doesn't work as planned, try the other. Custom G-codes can also be assigned to similar parameter numbers. It's all in the manuals.

There has to be some sensor or something not letting it go into the tool change area, it go’s directly to home then times out, I have very detailed machine builder manuals not just the Fanuc but don’t see anything in there. M19; input does allow you to manually go up into the change area.

Could the stroke limits or grid shift cause a problem with the ATC even thought it works manually?

Got it working, didn’t realize when I deleted all the work programs from the previous owner I had taken out the work offsets and also the G91 parameter so it wasn’t telling Z how far to move up, reinstated the correct measurement and it works great!