585,581 active members*
3,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Abrasives

Abrasives

I am sure this has been posted in here before but it doesnt look like there has been anything recent. 10 Years ago I ran a JetEdge waterjet with dual heads in a cnc machine shop. Long story short I changed jobs and have just changed again and I am stepping into a shop manager position for a company that has purchased thier very first waterjet machine. Since it has been so long I am not up to date with whats best out there abrasive wise and the webb is not very helpful in this department. So who do you prefer and why?

Re: Abrasives

Barton is the big boy out there and you can't go wrong. There is also GMA, these are the type I have ran into in shops where I am doing maintenance/repair on these machines.

Look out for the brands offering a mix of 2 different grit sizes and if the bags that your abrasive come in are not plastic lined to fend of moisture, watch out for those. The last thing you want is your abrasive clumping together, makes it very hard to flow.

Re: Abrasives

GMA is the same quality as barton just cheaper. At least the 80 mesh alluvial garnet is.