584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dual monitors while in pathpilot

Some assistance from the linux experts would be appreciated.

I currently dual boot my workshop computer in either windows or pathpilot in sim mode.When I boot it to pathpilot it goes straight to the desktop and both monitors are working but as soon as I start the pathpilot interface it shuts the second monitor down.I can restart it manually but is there any way to modify a configuration file to stop pathpilot turning the monitor off.

Re: Dual monitors while in pathpilot

If you’re just running PP in simulation mode I find it more convenient to run it in Windows using Virtual Box. There is no need to dual boot & you don’t have to figure out how to modify the PP startup script to accommodate dual monitors.

Virtual Box is a free download and there are plenty of threads here about doing this ...

Thanks,will look into that.

Would still like to know a little more about how everything works in linux / pathpilot though.More research needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ally-g View Post
    Would still like to know a little more about how everything works in linux / pathpilot though.More research needed.
    Start reading ...

If you setup PP to boot into the desktop and then create a launcher for it as explained in various posts here, PP should popup in it’s own window on the desktop without shutting down the other monitor or taking over the whole desktop.

Yes I have setup PP to boot into the desktop and created a launcher but when I launch PP it does take over the desktop and does shut the other monitor down so I must have missed something somewhere along the way.

I have made a keyboard shortcut to get back to the desktop and it is easy enough to manually restart the second monitor but I was treating this as a bit of a learning exercise.

For PP v2 use this command "mate-terminal -x bash -c ~/operator_login" in your launcher.
    Note that a terminal window will be open while PP is running - Do not close this window.
    It will close when PP terminates.

Thanks rdsi,my launcher was in fact a shortcut to the operator login and once I used your command things worked as you said it would.