584,837 active members*
5,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > 3.5 floppy drive or something else? After getting "Runtime error 158 at 0018:18FA"

3.5 floppy drive or something else? After getting "Runtime error 158 at 0018:18FA"

I'm getting this error when loading file or after when I try to run the program. Sometimes it will load file into machine fine but then crash when I try to run the program. I've tried different programs and different disks with the same results. Anyone have any Ideas?

Re: 3.5 floppy drive or something else? After getting "Runtime error 158 at 0018:18F

I should add that this is on an updated SBC Centurion 6 controller in a 1999 VM24 machine. The reason I'm using a floppy drive is that the latest Win 10 updates has totally shut down the Ethernet connection we were using. I've brought in a old XP computer to network to but haven't had the time to set it up yet.

Re: 3.5 floppy drive or something else? After getting "Runtime error 158 at 0018:18F

Take a look at my dos networking post, I am having good luck with it so far. You just need a Windows 10 laptop with both a NIC and WiFi.

I can help you with it if you need too.

Cheers
    SF

Thanks single phase. I'm going to check your post out as soon as time permits. I have a hot job to finish first. I got the floppy to work again this afternoon but for how long, who knows. Formatted the disk and changed cables but that didn't work then put the original cable back in and it worked. Go figure. BTW. why would you need WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Thanks single phase. I'm going to check your post out as soon as time permits. I have a hot job to finish first. I got the floppy to work again this afternoon but for how long, who knows. Formatted the disk and changed cables but that didn't work then put the original cable back in and it worked. Go figure. BTW. why would you need WiFi?
    The setup employs two separate networks. the WiFi is for connecting to your existing network. However you could do it with two NICs on the laptop.

You should be able to try it out fairly quickly.

I've searched Google but haven't seen an answer to a question related to this problem. I'm using a USB floppy drive to transfer files from the computer to the machine. I think I may have ruined the drive by plugging it into a USB 3 port by accident. All the new files created on this drive produce this error now. I have an old disk with a couple of old program files on it that work fine. I then added a new file to that old disk and that file produces this error but the others are still good. So either my post in Surfcam is missed up or its the USB floppy dive. I don't see anything wrong with files Surfcam creates so I strongly suspect the USB drive at this point. My question is: Can a USB 2 device be hurt if plugged into a USB 3 port? A Google search says no but I'm not so sure. In the meantime I've ordered another Floppy drive, they are cheap now.

Hi Moldcore,

I had better luck formatting the floppy's in the control floppy drive and transferring from cam computer, my laptop using usb floppy drive before setting up my shop network.

I have gone to network setup using tcpip on both machines using a dedicated xp computer in shop that I can push files to from my win 10 laptop. that computer has been on for 4 years without any issues

I just block the xp computer from all internet traffic in my router firewall and have an open share folder on the xp box setup in a widows work group.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Formatting the disk in the CNC is a good idea. I plan to set up the network as you describe in a few days,. I already have an old XP computer set up to use, sorry Single Phase, I don't have any spare lap tops laying around. I've got a ton of projects going both here and at home that have priority at the moment. I'm going to try a new floppy dive tomorrow when it arrives and get back here with the results.

Tried a brand new drive with same results, crash and same error. I managed to get the XP computer talking to the Win 10 computer so I can share. But I can't get the CNC to talk to the XP computer. I used the same instruction we used to get the Win 10 computer to share files before Win 10 was updated and lock us out.

Do you have this document?

error158 Sector not found, This can happen for several reasons. corrupted disk is the primary issue.
    also, Win 10 does not like FAT 16 ( type of formatting used on older floppy disk) , any thing. It expects that nothing else preceded it. ;-( !!!.

using a USB 3 port it tries to "write" 32 bit NTFS ( compressed) files and screws it all up.
    You can try a USB 2 port, BUT ????

Get one of my USB floppy emulators and start using a thumb drive. I drive = 100 floppy disks. But is still does not like USB 3 ports.

Got a SBC control update? Ask me about how to load a 4.5MB file from your floppy or my emulator. OH! YES I can.

sportybob

Got one of those USB floppy emulators and still get the same error when loading into the machine or run one after loading. I can run programs directly from the thumb drive however. My guess is that it may be a memory issue in the SBC control. I'll check on that when this project is done with. I've lost a month chasing this thing down and I'm no closer now than when I started. So frustrating. PC based controls suck.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Got one of those USB floppy emulators and still get the same error when loading into the machine or run one after loading. I can run programs directly from the thumb drive however. My guess is that it may be a memory issue in the SBC control. I'll check on that when this project is done with. I've lost a month chasing this thing down and I'm no closer now than when I started. So frustrating. PC based controls suck.
    I had a similar issue, and turned out to be the percent symbol at the beginning of the code used in networking messed up the file when using the emulator or disk drive. Erasing this fixed it. Also with the emulator you have to use a stick 1gb or less. Format to FAT as well

My programs do not have or ever had that percent symbol and they still freeze up. Currently the programs will start, move the X and Y to position, start the spindle, then freeze while lowering the Z with the spindle still running and an error 158 " Sector not found" message. It does this with both the thumb drive and floppy disk. It ran from thumb drive for a few weeks but now get the same message every time even with different usb thumb drives or floppy disks. If I try to load anything into RAM or the parts directory it will shut down and go to DOS screen. I have tried to find Thumb Drives smaller than 8gb with no luck. I can format the 8gb drives with special software that came with the USB drive and that seemed to work. Something is seriously wrong with this machine.

Hi Moldcore. To know Exactly why " Runtime error 158 at 0018:18FA" world require a call to Milltronics and ask . You will need your software version. then they can look up "that" address in that version of software and see "what is what'.

error 158 in the manual is "sector not found" That could mean, the floppy / emulator, the parts storage on the control or in the RAM. depending on what you are doing.

sportybob

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    Hi Moldcore. To know Exactly why " Runtime error 158 at 0018:18FA" world require a call to Milltronics and ask . You will need your software version. then they can look up "that" address in that version of software and see "what is what'.

error 158 in the manual is "sector not found" That could mean, the floppy / emulator, the parts storage on the control or in the RAM. depending on what you are doing.

sportybob
    I Sent the controller to Milltronics and they could not find anything wrong with the controller or floppy emulator I was using. Frustrated to say the least. Something is corrupting the programs when loading onto the thumb drive or floppy. They suggested I remove the CF card in the controller and load the program directly into the parts directory.and that works but removing the CF card requires shutting down the machine then restarting it but that seems to create other problems, like the tool numbers get screwed up. The saga continues...

Endless options exist from my IT days.
    Ask Milltronics to try your usb drive and program in one of their machines.

Let us know.