584,846 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser ON/OFF using Z axis movements

I have a small laser engraver that I plan to try to cut a vinyl that is stuck to a PCB material with an adhesive backing used
    for etch resist. Of course you have to remove the vinyl where the copper is to exposed to etchent.
    The laser is 2.3 watt solid state and everything works Ok but I have one issue that would be nice to fix without having
    to edit the G-Code. file.
    I use Eagle to create the PCB and then use PCB G-code to make the engraving g-code file which works great using a
    spinning cutter into the copper but there is no option in the PCB G-code setup file for a laser mode engraving.

What would be nice is for the bCNC program sending the g-code to the GRBL controller to use the Z axis up/down command
    to turn on and off the laser. This would just about eliminate having to edit the g-code file to add M3( or M4) and M5 commands
    to turn on/off the laser. I like the bCNC program and was wondering if there is a way to make it interpret the Z axis
    movements for laser control?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Re: Laser ON/OFF using Z axis movements

Just use lasergrbl software. It works with standard grbl. Just import a image file or avg and you are ready to go...

... Trouble free. You can use M3 and M4 with dinamic TTL laser power control for nice curves and corners.

Re: Laser ON/OFF using Z axis movements

Bruce,

On a hardware level, you could trigger the laser on/off by using the step/direction signals from the controller. The Z-axis goes down with a direction signal high.. and goes back up with a direction signal low. The distance (number of steps) shouldn't really matter. I would tie to Direction signal to the triggering input of your laser power supply module.

I would also hope for you to enact some type of safety such that your laser will turn off in case of emergency.. or the work area door is opened.

Thank You,

Ray Scott - Rabbit Laser USA