584,879 active members*
5,352 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 Intermediate gear loose

G0704 Intermediate gear loose

Hello all. I recently started using my G0704 again and after a crash I was worried I ruined my intermediate gear. I took off the window near the gear selector and inspected the gear. The teeth all look fine, but I noticed two things:

1. The gear is a little low axially so the full width of the tooth isn't in contact with the gear on the spindle. Is there a way I could adjust this? If I hold the gear selector it engages full width.

2. The bore of the gear is loose on the shaft. Its way past slip fit, I'm guessing 0.025-0050" radial clearance. Has anyone ever seen an adapter or shim to tighten this kind of thing up?

I ordered a replacement with the intention to make a brass gear replacement, but I was interested in trying to fix this one first. I'm trying to hold off on a belt drive as I think they are a little limited on RPM. I really think this mill should run 5000-8000 rpm on the high range. What do you guys think about fixing this gear?

I dont think a repair is worth the effort, the benefits of a belt drive conversion are well worth the effort. It can greatly reduce the vibration at higher speeds.

With a belt drive you can setup any speed range you like with different pulley sizes.
    I agree about the speed range you listed and I am shooting for that range on a conversion.

.025" clearance on the intermediate gear shaft is not workable, the gear will need to be replaced. If you haven't already ordered the parts also order the small gear that motor output gear meshes to, this one is easily damaged on a crash as well.

It seems that these gears are made out of plastic as a mechanical fuse of sorts so it is unlikely that the shafts or motor are damaged.

If you are interesting in doing the conversion let me know as I working on the CAM for cutting the parts to do this myself, it takes very little to cut a second one after the first is cut......
    Send me an email if you like at:
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Upnorth4; 08-17-2018 at 06:44 PM.