585,662 active members*
3,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > ascii data filtering using Surfcam?

ascii data filtering using Surfcam?

Hi everyone , New to Surfcam over here wondering if anyone has experience
    with filtering digitized data from Renishaw on machine probing system.I am
    using ascii file format with .pun extension to read files into Surfcam. Data
    collection is huge! need a way to edit and recreate images. help!
    thanks for any input,
    casey

Did you or can you create a 'true surface' with the probe software?

If you can, then surfcam should be able to read this file and create the surface.

Otherwise, you may need to use software like Geomagic to recreate the surface and the filled volume, then output as an iges.

enat

Hey Pixburghenat, thanks for the input. What I'm trying to do is actually generate toolpath on the existing data without creating surfaces.I will experiment with creating surfaces , but would have to get the software you mentioned. Any idea where to get it? Thanks again,
    Casey

reverse engineering software.

please look at geomagic .. its good reverse engineering software. or you can get the services from us.

EUC TECH
    52A, SECOND AVENUE,
    ASHOK NAGAR,
    CHENNAI 600 083
    +91 44 42065044

we do services in plastic flow simulation, mold design, die casting design, 5 axis machining, reverse engineering, rapid prototyping.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Hey Pixburghenat, thanks for the input. What I'm trying to do is actually generate toolpath on the existing data without creating surfaces.I will experiment with creating surfaces , but would have to get the software you mentioned. Any idea where to get it? Thanks again,
    Casey

I did a quick search for a .pun file file, didn't find anything yet.

What probe machine did you use?

We use a cyclone touch probe, older but works great. The machine is like a reverse milling machine, the output can be converted to a true surface or converted to a CNC program.

If the .pun file is ascii, geomagic should read it. In fact, Surfcam may be able able to read it simply by changing the .pun to .ncc

Geomagic is pricey, somewhere around 25K or so....
    We have a site license, if you can't do anything with the file, email it to me and I'll have a look and convert it to something Surfcam can read.

You can send it to [email protected] , this account can handle up to a 50 meg file. If the file is bigger, let me know what size and I have another account here that can handle it.

Scott

enat

Scott,
    The probing system I'm using is a Renishaw SP-2. It runs on the machine tool itself. Rather than a point to point scanning method, this is continueous motion scanning at about 4-6 ipm.We spoke to a rep at Geomagic today and he also offered to take a look at the scans I've done to see if he could help.
    Thanks so much for the reply, I'll try to send you a sample. Casey

Another Quick note

Hey it's Casey here again, just a reminder that I'm trying to simply filter the ascii data , I can open it in Surfcam and view the data and even generate toolpath on it. It's just too many entities to chain and creates huge programs.
    So I'm just looking for a simple way to edit the data. Thanks again for the help. Casey

oh, I see. We have the same setup on a Remedy mill with Centroid control. I've only messed around with it a couple of times. But I think it creates the true surface automatically. How big are the files? A 10meg file is somewhat normal and files over say 25 megs would be harder to manage on a system slower than 2 Ghz and less than 1 Gig of Ram. If you can, send the file, I'm interested to see.

Scott

Check this out.

http://www.renishaw.com/client/categ.../CAT-406.shtml

The cyclone at the bottom right is what we have.

I'm sure the data you have is the same we get from the cyclone. We'll take that data into Geomagic and convert the points to a surface, then output to an iges. Import to Solidworks, create the solid, add any features needed. Surfcam can read the Solidworks file just fine. By time it's done, the file size is reduced enough where it's easy to handle.

Scott

Cyclone data is different

Hey Scott ,
    The Cyclone actually collects data correctly, unlike my probing system.I can tell the probe via Tracecut software to collect data every .030 and it responds by collecting it every .002! If I had a Cyclone , I'd be able to really simplify this problem. I've worked with data off a Cyclone that chained perfectly.This is a simple problem with what seems to be a very difficult solution. I am just looking for any possible solution right now , but it should be a direct file conversion , no multiple software editing necessary.I'll try to get you a sample of the data so you can see just how simple this data is.I think you'll get a chuckle out of it. Any chance you're using Tracecut?
    Talk to you soon,
    Casey

I still have the cyclone, it's in our other lab. I can load the file into it and create the true surface, It should create G code too. We still load the true surface file into Geomagic, then output an iges file into Solidworks to finish the model. ....as you may have guessed, we do/did reverse engineering. I did this work for about 5 years before positions were switched around. The lab is still there, I can use it, but it's not 'my thing' anymore. ....University politics, I don't play.

Scott