585,728 active members*
4,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

vmc15xt issues

I have a 1994 vmc15xt with the 88hs control I am trying to get up and running. Having a few issues and im not sure where to start. The spindle tries to start but it comes up with a spindle fault line code. The control says it has tool number 2.88989. The sv command will not work, it says locked out by user. In setp I can not change xyz ranges, it says x40 y20 z20 and I don't think that is correct. when I move the y axis the control says it has moved 10 inches but actually only moves 6 inches. This machine has been sitting for about 8 years and when I recently started it the parameters were lost due to a dead cpu battery, it has been replaced. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: vmc15xt issues

Do the zero memory procedure and then go through the setp putting in the things stated on the paper in the back of the monitor cabinet.

Thank you!! That fixed everything but the spindle line fault. Any ideas on that?

Quote Originally Posted by SssonMachine View Post
    Thank you!! That fixed everything but the spindle line fault. Any ideas on that?
    For that it could be a lot of things. I would check all the connections and then look at the top of your spindle motor for the encoder and see if it’s dirty. If so you may try cleaning it or replacing.

Follow the troubleshooting section of the maintenance manual. It can be found by just searching “maintenance manual Fadal” on google.

If you determine it to be the drive I have a couple of amc drives and a broken baldor drive if you end up needing one there’s a place that will repair the baldor and I don’t know if the amcs work.

If the Zero Memory Procedure did not work completely, remove the expanded memory from the CPU card and Zero memory again. If still not right, pull the processor out and clean the gold tabs and replace it. Still having problems, check the low voltage power supply and make sure your +5VDC is within about 2% of the nominal voltage. Low or high voltage will give you all sorts of problems. Let me know if you need more help.

FadalCNC.com
    Tech Support

The zero memory did solve most of the issues. The problem im having now is with the spindle. It tries to turn but jerks and turns a bit but will not start. It turns freely. It has a mits freqrol z300 spindle drive and im thinking that is bad. I have no problem spending the money to fix this machine but would like to verify that the drive is the problem and not just throw parts at it. Anyone know how to test these things? I am not an electrician by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by ASIGuy View Post
    If the Zero Memory Procedure did not work completely, remove the expanded memory from the CPU card and Zero memory again. If still not right, pull the processor out and clean the gold tabs and replace it. Still having problems, check the low voltage power supply and make sure your +5VDC is within about 2% of the nominal voltage. Low or high voltage will give you all sorts of problems. Let me know if you need more help.

FadalCNC.com
    Tech Support
    Crazy you guys will respond on a forum but I’ve been calling and emailing you guys for days and I have gotten nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SssonMachine View Post
    The zero memory did solve most of the issues. The problem im having now is with the spindle. It tries to turn but jerks and turns a bit but will not start. It turns freely. It has a mits freqrol z300 spindle drive and im thinking that is bad. I have no problem spending the money to fix this machine but would like to verify that the drive is the problem and not just throw parts at it. Anyone know how to test these things? I am not an electrician by any means.
    You looked at the encoder and it was fine right?

It does not have an encoder on top of the motor. It has a hall effect switch that I have replaced. I was assuming this did the same as an encoder. Is that correct?

Ah ok so no rigid tapping. I believe the Mitsubishi drive does not need an encoder to function.

Next step would be to get the service tool that you can hook into your drive to eliminate the chance that it could be the cards. But I think your drive is dead the Mitsubishi drives are not what they call reliable.

I do have a 1996 15xt that I am currently using but it has a baldor drive with rigid tapping. Can I swap the 1010 boards in these machines to see if that's the problem without hurting anything?

Depend what is the number on the cards? Also you need to switch the EPROMs. Rigid tap is not the same as the non rigid.

Thank you very much for your help. I don't feel comfortable enough to be switching eproms so at this point I am just going to order a new drive I guess.

There are places that can test and repair your old drive. may be more cost effective if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedger View Post
    There are places that can test and repair your old drive. may be more cost effective if you have the time.
    Practec llc was $150 just to look at the drive then starting at $700 to repair.
    Might be worth it but not for a Mitsubishi.