584,812 active members*
5,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > ISEL Gantry XYZ setup - need help identifying wheather servo or stepper

ISEL Gantry XYZ setup - need help identifying wheather servo or stepper

Purchased an ISEL Gantry XYZ setup and need help identifying what I'm looking at.
    None of the numbers I have googled have lead me to anything helpful.
    HB33SBME01201505040296041
    210001 1000
    will try to attach pics but I may be too new.
    ISEL's website was no help
    Plugs appear to have 4 large prongs and 3 smaller ones if I'm seeing this correctly
    Any help appreciated

Bob

Re: ISEL Gantry XYZ setup - need help identifying wheather servo or stepper

Please contact me maybe I can help you.

my email [email protected]

where are you located ?

Does the does the motor on the back of the machine look like this with a 9 pin connector ?

I have the pinout .

i dont know how send a image here.

contact me by email . [email protected]

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I did it

Also where are you located .

contact me

I can completely add a new controller to your cnc.

[email protected]

Those are steppers.
    Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Quote Originally Posted by imperial90303 View Post
    Does the does the motor on the back of the machine look like this with a 9 pin connector ?
    No, It's a round connector with a locking collar. Sorry, my phone camera has developed "issues". It has 4 large pins centered in a diamond config with 3 small pins located in various holes in a circle of holes around the center. 7 pins total. Pics to follow next time my phone decides to cooperate. . . .

I have the same kind of machine and it's really slow. Can't make circles or radiuses or interpolate X/Y without lovering the speed to really low feedrates. Feeds above F50 and it stutters and stops when it is supposed to follow a circular path.

I have the same motor number on mine for the X,Y and Z axis, "210001 1000". Did you ever find out what kind of stepper motors it is?
    I would need the data sheet for the motor settings, acceleration, speed, voltage etc. in order to replace and upgrade the controller hardware and software.

I have the same motor number on mine for the X,Y and Z axis, "210001 1000". Did you ever find out what kind of stepper motors it is?

No

I would need the data sheet for the motor settings, acceleration, speed, voltage etc. in order to replace and upgrade the controller hardware and software.

Sounds like you have one that has built in hardware and software. Mine is just the gantry w/nema 23's that go to a 7 pin plug on each stepper. Mine came
    from an auction (NO documentatio) with some other X, Y tables with what appear to be servos. My ISEL gantry has no spindle, drivers, power supply, computer, etc.
    I came up with the "nema 23" by measuring the mounting holes. I am leaning toward Mach 3, BOB, drivers, PS and a sharpie for a spindle. This is all new to me but
    am really enjoying getting into CNC. I'm going at a very slow pace as this is just a hobby with eyes toward converting a X2 bench mill in the future.
    If you get lucky and score data sheets, keep me in mind.

I do have the manuals and the controller unit, but no complete data sheets over the motors. But I did some research today, opened up the controller units, also looked through the manuals thoroughly.
    This is the information I have found out regarding the motors. (see attached photos, although they are in swedish (poorly translated from german), please ask if you dont understand something and want me to translate to english)

According to the manual:
    The motors for X, Y and Z are 24V, 2-phase bipolar steppers with a pulse-count of 1600 pulses / revolution
    The motor drive card is running on 40V/2.5A.
    The connector on the motor side is a round 15-pin amphenol connector, allthough only maximum 9 pins are in use.

Pin arrangement on motor, controller, cable and circuit board.
    Some of the names and nomenclature of the pins does not fully correspond, one pin could be called one thing in one end of the cable and be named something else in the other end of the cable.

Round connector pins (motor side of cable):
    Pin 1 = Phase 2B
    Pin 2 = Phase 2A
    Pin 3 = Phase 1B
    Pin SL = Phase 1A
    Pin 4 = +24V brake (option)
    Pin 5 = Reference-break/switch (don't really know what this is)
    Pin 6 = ground brake (Option)
    Pin 7 = PE Shield (Gussing this is permanent earth?)
    Pin 9 = Reference-break/switch (don't really know what this is)

The photo of the circuit board of one of the stepper motor controllers shows whats connected on the controller side. I dont know what "SE\, RE, VSS is.
    Circuit board connections:
    Phase 1B
    Phase 1A
    SE\
    RE
    VSS
    Phase 2B
    Phase 2A

Square connector pins(controller side of cable):
    Pin 1 = Phase 2A
    Pin 2 = Phase 1A
    Pin 3 = Phase 1B
    Pin 4 = Phase 2B
    Pin 5 = NC (guessing this is optional)
    Pin 6 = NC (guessing this is optional)
    Pin 7 = Ground
    Pin 8 = Reference
    Pin 9 = +24V

I have modified my machine with a HY 2.2kW inverter and 24000RPM air-cooled ER11 collet spindle-motor from Ebay.
    Everything works as it should, I can cut with it in wood but when I try to do circles (interpolate) the machine just freezes if I dont lower the feedrate to really low speeds within the G02/G03 command.
    So, I would like the machine to go faster and smoother, and I dont think the old controller unit is good enough. It's from -the early -90s, and the software is DOS-based so I need to use a really old computer with RS232 interface to transfer NC-programs.

I am aiming for mach3 and rebuild all the electronics, motor controllers, power supply, etc.

Thanks for uploading the info and pics.
    My ISEL gantry doesn't have any of the controller or spindle so I'm trying to get it to work
    with an old computer, Mach3, and a BOB/driver/PS I got from amazon. Trying to go the inexpensive
    route till I can see if I can get it to function at all. I pulled one stepper completely out and it has
    8 wires that pair up to 4 pins in the connector. From what I read this indicates a bipolar parallel setup ? ? ? ?
    Next step is to hook it up to the BOB/driver I have and see if I can get it to respond. Thank you
    for the pics and info in your response, it confirms and adds to what I have guessed or reasoned already.
    Will try to keep up on any progress I make.

mudden, if you see this, turn on pm's in your profile

thanks
    cncneon

Driver board is labeled A+ A- B+ B-

My stepper mtr print out is labeled
    Pin 1 = Phase 2B
    Pin 2 = Phase 2A
    Pin 3 = Phase 1B
    Pin SL = Phase 1A

Before I "assume" anything, could anyone point me in the right direction
    I'm guessing phase 1 is 90 degrees off of phase 2 but is A positive and B neg?
    all help appreciated
    cncneon

If you have a meter, measure the resistance between pins 1&2 and 3&4.

One phase should be A+ and A-, and the other should be B+ and B-.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The phases I got, it's the polarity that I'm not sure of.
    8 wires in 4 color groups, each color pair is a coil.
    Black & White/Blk stripe
    Orange & W/Orange stripe
    Red & W/R stripe
    Yellow & W/Y stripe
    The way they're wired into an Amphenol plug indicates the phases (and I'm guessing its wired parallel)
    Blk & W/orange - pin 1
    Orange & W/Black - pin 3
    I'm going to arbitrarily call that phase 1
    Red & W/Orange - pin 2
    Orange & W/R - pin 4
    Called that one phase 2
    Now some paper work that mudden got with his isel and translated from german/swedish/english
    showed the same phase setup but was calling it phase 1 A&B rather than + & - so I wired it up
    with A=+ and B=- and it appears to work although the polarity may be backwards. . . . I assume
    if the polarity is reversed that when I print some alphabet it will be reverse and I can just switch it ? ? ?
    A quick question on parallel V. series, which way gives me more torque?
    Also, any recommendations on plugs to replace these Amphenol MIL spec plugs? Finding and replacing
    the female portion of 3 plugs appears to cost more than what I paid for the gantry. . . .

Lightbulb Re: ISEL Gantry XYZ setup - need help identifying wheather servo or stepper

Quote Originally Posted by cncneon View Post
    mudden, if you see this, turn on pm's in your profile
    Done!

I also saw that you had started looking at the color codes on the cables. Actually the data-sheet for the pin-out of the round amphenol has the colors stated, also an explanation for the inverted polarity. Please have a look at the attached PDF-file. Hopefully it gives you some help
    Attached Files Attached Files

I Contacted ISEL Germany and asked for a data-sheet of the motors.
    They told me that the motor has another article. no. MS110 (instead of 210001 1000)

It's downloadable here:
    https://www.isel.com/de/downloads/dl...0_160_160w.pdf

I also added it to this post as an attached file.
    Be aware that the data sheet is in German, and I have not controlled the information in it to actually see if it's the correct information for the motors.
    Since you have your machine apart you should be able to double check quite easily.