584,829 active members*
4,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HL-2 tailstock acts crazy

1998 HL-2 sat broke down for a few months with axis control problem. Tailstock was working ok. Now, new MOCON board and axes work ok but tailstock problem.
    When you try to home tailstock, it goes back away from the chuck then immediately reverses back toward the chuck and stops at the travel limit. Control says "running" until reset.
    The comb is clean and straight and have put TWO new encoders on it. (tailstock read heads) Now Haas service says new hydraulic solenoid valve is needed. I am skeptical.
    I think it's something having to do with the new MOCON board.

Re: HL-2 tailstock acts crazy

Doesn't the tailstock on that machine use a limit switch for its home position? I would check that switch if possible, to ensure it's being actuated...it sounds like there's some logic issue though so you may be correct about the mocon board.

No it doesn't have a limit switch; just end of stroke on the hydraulic cylinder in or out. Went into diagnostics and saw that the hyd. solenoid valve was getting the signal to do exactly what it was doing. So mechanically no problem.
    Turned out to be the tailstock encoder wire left off of the new MOCON board by service tech when he installed it. Works now, but I am not happy that I, the customer, had to diagnose the real problem. Otherwise there would have been more parts replaced unnecessarily at my expense. At this point I am terrified of having HAAS service come out. I don't believe I will buy another HAAS machine ever.

Well at least it was a seemingly-easy fix. I didn't realize you had a hydraulic tailstock, since our HL2 has a ballscrew axis (must have been a different option at the time).
    For what it's worth these old machines are getting harder and harder to maintain...our particular HFO is pretty good and offers a ton of support in person or not, but there's only so many people left around that are able to work on these older models. The SL lathes are quite a bit easier to work on, and the STs are even better...although it's like a whole generation newer hardware.