585,667 active members*
4,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Bench Top CNC for cutting Copper/Brass sheet?

Bench Top CNC for cutting Copper/Brass sheet?

So I've been looking at bench top CNC machines and was hoping I could get some reccomendations/advice from you guys.

What I'm after is a small CNC that can cut through Copper, Sterling Silver and Brass sheets. I want to get back into making Jewlery but hand cutting the metal is killing my hands and it's too inaccurate.

I have a good amount of experience with 3D printing but I'm still not quite sure what to look for in a CNC machine. I'd be fine building one from a kit or upgrading/modifing one if necessary but I cant really spend more then say 500 bucks on this.

Would this product from Amazon work for my needs? Any other models you might suggest?

SainSmart CNC $350.00 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q27RT32..._fEIhDb81W9JJV

Thanks

Re: Bench Top CNC for cutting Copper/Brass sheet?

Don't waste your money on a $500 CNC mill; it's just going to disappoint you. Instead, send the work out to someone with a waterjet or fiber-optic laser cutter; you should be able to get quite a bit of metal cut for $500. An alternative might be investing in pancake dies and punching out the pieces with a press. When you've sold all the jewelry you've made from those parts, you should have enough for a decent mill - or if not, keep going until you do.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Yeah, I thought of getting some basic shape punches but I wanted more flexibility than that in the shapes being cut out. What about sourceing and building/assembling all of the parts of a CNC on my own? I'm pretty confident in my build skills but I would need some basic instructions/guidance. Anyone know of anything like that?