584,866 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help Require to Engrave Aluminum

Dear All : I would thank you in advance for your responses.. I am using CNC Router for Woodworking and engraving relief on Wood and MDF since 2 years, without any trouble. Now, recently I purchased new Router to engrave in Aluminum, but after loosing several tools even in roughing process - I did not get any results.

Re: Help Require to Engrave Aluminum

I'm puzzled by your reference to "roughing process". Usually, engraving is done in one pass with a very sharp-pointed tool. Are you talking about relief carving of aluminum using a router designed for woodwork? In that case, your machine may not be rigid enough - it takes a much more sturdy machine to deal with metals effectively that wood or MDF. It could also be that you're attempting to use an unsuitable grade of aluminum, the wrong tools, or incorrect feedrates.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Help Require to Engrave Aluminum

Your plunge speed needs to be very slow or you will break the tip off the tool. If you slow all feed rates down and it's still breaking then you're getting too much vibration and your machine isn't rigid enough...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk