584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 1000 Coolant pump reversed direction

Arrow 1000 Coolant pump reversed direction

Scratching my head! today I lost coolant, after blowing out lines, checking the key way on the impeller etc, I think my pump is spinning backwards! I am not a electrician and have little understanding of 3 phase motors...but if I understand correctly, if it lots a phase.it should not start? No electrical work was being done, no wiring changes. Open to being educated and getting some ideas as what to check!
    Thanks in advance! Bill

Re: Arrow 1000 Coolant pump reversed direction

3 phase motors don't spontaneously reverse direction, and you are correct, loss of phase normally won't allow the motor to start. If it's a centrifugal pump, it will still pump when running backwards, but just not as efficiently depending on the shape of the impeller. You might try interchanging any two of the motor wires, that will reverse the rotation.

Many times there is an arrow on the fan or pump housing to show the correct rotation. Make sure the pump is not air locked, if you have to, pour coolant into the pump from the discharge line to prime the pump.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

thank you for the response, I am considering just swapping wires...but I am reluctant because something must have failed, My spindle and table directions operate in their normal directions, so I am struggling with the thought of something changing up stream of the pump. I did dissemble and inspect the pump portion (did not disassemble the motor portion) and looking at the the design...its running backwards! tomorrow I will look for blown fuses etc, just encase there is a possibly some way the motor is starting single phase!

Maybe it has always been running in reverse? A quick phase to phase voltage check would tell you if you have a lost phase.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Although it shouldn't happen, it wouldn't be the first time I've come across phasing to a machine being changed Upstream of the machine disconnect. So it is possible although you didn't change anything at the machine the phasing has been switched on the incoming wires.
    Your comment about your Servo Motors all still running in the right direction is irrelevant because the power supply converts that AC to DC before it goes to the servo drives so phasing does not matter.
    If you have other three phase Motors on the machine (such as chip conveyor) you could verify whether any of the other ones were affected.

Thank you for your response. There maybe a lot of truth in your responce! I found a blown fuse in my switch panel for my phase converters. After replacing the fuse I retested the coolant pump (in a trash can with water in it) aND it pumped. I reinstalled the pump and my coolant flow was surging, not something it has ever done. When pulling the pump back out I noticed it had foamed coolant all around it.
    So, I went ahead and swapped leads and now have better coolant flow then ever! I think I know why the fuse blew, stuck and broke a tap. But not understanding why the coolant flow never surged before if the pump has been spinning backwards for years!!!! I will keep scratching my head and get back to work!!!
    Thank you again for your responce and info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Maybe it has always been running in reverse? A quick phase to phase voltage check would tell you if you have a lost phase.

Thank you for your response and help, I have truly appreciated all the help you have given me over the years I found a blown fuse in my switch panel for my phase converters. After replacing the fuse I retested the coolant pump (in a trash can with water in it) and it pumped. I reinstalled the pump and my coolant flow was surging, not something it has ever done. When pulling the pump back out I noticed it had foamed the coolant all around it.
    So, I went ahead and swapped leads to reverse the pump and now have better coolant flow then ever! Jim's responce may be correct, it may have been running backwards all along. I think I know why the fuse blew, stuck and broke a tap pretty hard. But not understanding why the coolant flow never surged before if the pump has been spinning backwards for years!!!! Additionaly, the tone of the pump in the coolant sounded the same with the blown fuse but I must assume that the pump was spinning at a slower speed (amazed it started!) Thanks for the slap on the face reminder about DC! I had also checked spindle rotation! I will keep scratching my head about why the coolant surged (cavatated) after replacing the fuse when it never did that before while I get back to work!!!
    Thank you again for your responce and info!!

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    Although it shouldn't happen, it wouldn't be the first time I've come across phasing to a machine being changed Upstream of the machine disconnect. So it is possible although you didn't change anything at the machine the phasing has been switched on the incoming wires.
    Your comment about your Servo Motors all still running in the right direction is irrelevant because the power supply converts that AC to DC before it goes to the servo drives so phasing does not matter.
    If you have other three phase Motors on the machine (such as chip conveyor) you could verify whether any of the other ones were affected.

You also need to check the direction of the fan on top of the spindle motor for the correct direction, should be blowing up.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Thank you!