585,581 active members*
3,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Breaking in a new 1100M

Curious what folks thoughts are on "breaking in" a new mill. I've just about got everything ready to go on the new twin 1100M's and was wondering if I should write some sort of a program that would move the machine in max to min - min to max - straight line - spiral - spindle 500 to 7500 to 500 - wash, rinse, repeat. I did something similar to this when I replaced the spindle on the 1100/3. Or, do I just jump right in and start running parts (most would be in a 6" x 6" envelope)?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Breaking in a new 1100M

Setting up a new machine, I would grab inspection report and compare machine as it sets to that report. Then clean and check all new fixtures, tools, collets, holders …. for any goofy runout or other manufacture defects "hate to chase this in a finished part dimension". Don't know about break in of a new spindle. Anything else like lube or verify full axis motion is done every time the machine is turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Setting up a new machine, I would grab inspection report and compare machine as it sets to that report. Then clean and check all new fixtures, tools, collets, holders …. for any goofy runout or other manufacture defects "hate to chase this in a finished part dimension". Don't know about break in of a new spindle. Anything else like lube or verify full axis motion is done every time the machine is turned on.
    Thanks for the info. Just trying to get it setup right straight out of the gate.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Personally, I don't see how a break in routine such as you describe could hurt. It's very similar to my morning turn on routine - not so much for warm up but allows full cleanup of anything I missed night before.

I would at least break in the spindle, and run the axis to their limits multiple times at full feed rate to make sure all is well.

WW

I second the idea of verifying the factory certification report. Best to find any problems there (and resolve them) before the machine has been used for actual work.

since the ways are turcite i don't see the point.

however i would suggest overriding the lubrication interval to flush more way oil through the system. once it wears in a bit then back off to something more reasonable.

John @ NYC CNC posted up a couple "warm up" routines this past winter. Exercises the machine in all axis and brings spindle speed up in increments of 500 IIRC. I used them during the cold months - I don't keep the shop heat on when I'm not in there and it slips to ~38°F when it's single digit outside. I'll see if I can find them and post a link...

Found it: NYCCNC.com-->Library-->search box: "Warm"
    There he has both links posted to download.
    https://www.nyccnc.com/tormach-cnc-warm-routine/