585,991 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser engraved leather

Help! I received 2 android wallet phone cases that were laser engraved with text and both outlines of a picture as well as filled in pictures. It is on a brown leather and the engraving is black, obviously. The problem I have is, how do I seal the engravings so that it does not rub off black any time I touch it or it touches anything, including clothes. It washes off easily, even on areas of the leather where it has smeared but I can't use the cases when it is rubbing off so badly. Is the a product I can buy to seal the engraved areas to make the leather part softer, shiny, that doesn't matter, mainly to stop the black from rubbing off when it touches anything. Please anyone let me know. I'm at a complete loss and just want to seal it somehow. Thank you so much.
    DGGator

Re: Laser engraved leather

It sounds like the people who did this didn't use real leather dye to blacken the engraved areas in the designs, since it's permanent and doesn't rub off. Without knowing what they did use, it's hard to say what might go over the top of it and keep it from doing this. It may be an altogether futile endeavor. You could try some leather sealing products like Resolene, but whether it's compatible with whatever was used is anyone's guess. Here's some deep discussion on the topic on the leatherworker's forum: Sealing Leather After Dyeing? - How Do I Do That? - Leatherworker.net
    Andrew Werby
    Website