584,846 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Headstock alignment on SL-3B

anyone ever done a head stock alignment on a SL-3? this machine is built pretty heavy. looks like theres at least 5 things to take apart before you can even see the adjustment bolts. any advice is appreciated.

on a related note, i went to adjust my tailstock center position today, and where it's centered is so high up that the lower tailstock gib had to come out - so something's up with the centerline of this machine.

Re: Headstock alignment on SL-3B

it turns out that the head didn't need aligned. the tailstock is the culprit here. oddly my tailstock sits too low, and to get it up high enough you have to remove the lower tailstock gib / it doesn't fit. I guess i need some new gibs for the tailstock / maybe no one really ever used it or something? its confusing.

i took the fiberglass covers off the left side of the machine. that exposes all the headstock bolts (huge bolts / M14 hex key), and the typical push / pull socket cap screw / set screw combo is on the top of the headstock in that left side area. I did back out the adjuster bolts, and cracked one of the headstock bolts loose (one of 6 so nothing moved when i did this, that's for sure). it occurred to me that i ought to take my test cut on a thick bar without using the tailstock. so i did, and there is basically zero taper across the travel. there's a little sag in the ways (old machine). but its not too bad, like 0.0005".

just seeing the size of that mori headstock kind of lets you know there's no freaking way it moved even if it got crashed.

so, i just need to get the tailstock cobbled together it seems.