584,854 active members*
4,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flow waterjet intensifier question

Hey guys, fairly new to working with a waterjet i was trained on the job by the operator i replaced and it was sad to say the least... anyways my queation is our intensifier keeps burning up tje HP seals on the pump qe have over 5600 hours on the machine ive been looking up information but only have mixed info... Our IT guy who was sent to the school and certified has debunked these suggeations so i felt like looking for answers else where..

Could the early seal wear be caused by the HP Plungers and seals going bad being over 5,000 hours?

IT guy says they should last 20 years due to the low psi being transferred through the system at that point

Re: Flow waterjet intensifier question

If you are burning up your seal at lets say 10-20 hours of operation, plus you have over 5600 hours of operation. If you haven't done a major rebuild, and when I say major it means a complete tear down of the intensifier and a complete oil and filter change.
    More then likely your plungers are scored and they are eating right through your seals.

If you are in the States give me a call

I service Flow, KMT and Hyperthern waterjet.

Maurice Phelps
    MCP Services
    678-548-1483

Re: Flow waterjet intensifier question

Look for chips in your plungers like small flakes missing. That will cause you to go through seals really fast but at 5600 hours that is very rare. A chip in a plunger would be cause for a new plunger which is big bucks. I have little experience with flow but is the issue on the static or dynamic side?