585,752 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Tool holders "sticking"

Tool holders "sticking"

Since I repaired my washers (thanks sportybob) the tool holders seem to stick for a second before falling out. This is being a little rough on the tool changer.

Last night one was down right stuck for a while doing a manual tool change. Air cylinder engaged I was pulling on the thing and nothing. Then standing there for a good 10 seconds after the 3rd air cylinder cycle it finally popped itself out. That one seems to be the worst of all the tools but they all pop a little.

Re: Tool holders "sticking"

Hi Yugami, A couple things to check., 1. the tool push out. measure between the spindle nose and the top of the tool flange. when push out is pressed. You should get about .100" adjust the knob on top of the drawbar cylinder.

2. check the tools and spindle taper for cleanliness. WD-40 real fine scotch bright is good for cleaning tools and tapers.
    3. check the air pressure to the drawbar cylinder. use a separate gage with a Tee fitting going into the cylinder. Just because the input pressure is 100psi does not mean that all points in the system has 100psi.
    4. set the power parameter " drawbar delay" to about 1 sec.. remember to cycle the power after the Powere pram change.

sportybob

Re: Tool holders "sticking"

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    Hi Yugami, A couple things to check., 1. the tool push out. measure between the spindle nose and the top of the tool flange. when push out is pressed. You should get about .100" adjust the knob on top of the drawbar cylinder.

2. check the tools and spindle taper for cleanliness. WD-40 real fine scotch bright is good for cleaning tools and tapers.
    3. check the air pressure to the drawbar cylinder. use a separate gage with a Tee fitting going into the cylinder. Just because the input pressure is 100psi does not mean that all points in the system has 100psi.
    4. set the power parameter " drawbar delay" to about 1 sec.. remember to cycle the power after the Powere pram change.

sportybob
    Great advise I was wondering about that param. I did develop a small leak in the head during the change probably to the cylinder causing a pressure drop.