584,829 active members*
5,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller Cards > UCNCV4 usb cnc controller board with opto isolation and relays and offline functions
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: UCNCV4 usb cnc controller board with opto isolation and relays and offline functi

so I replaced my 74hc14 chip on my Hobbycnc AND..... 4th axis is still dead. So that means ether I have a broken connection TRACE/SOLDER POINT, BURNT yes BURNT trace. :tired: or the motor controller chips input pin(s) may be burnt out. I have proven that my ucncv4 board's 4th axis output is working just fine. Long story short I miss plugged my PSU into the UCNCV4 backward once plugging 24v into grd. the only damage that seems to have happend happend to my hobbycnc controller of all things. I discovered it when a fuse (REALLY A PCB TRACE) on the backside of the hobbycnc board started billowing a lot of smoke. this happend a few years ago. But I've never messed with the 4th axis till just now. worst case rather then pull everything apart I may just add a single motor controller to drive the rotary 4th axis. far less painful then trying to un-fux my fux up or so I claim.

Re: UCNCV4 usb cnc controller board with opto isolation and relays and offline functi

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    looking at the data sheet for stm8s903k3t6c I'm guessing its running at 5v. working range 2.95-5.5v. success I pulled the data Not much in that chip for code. One interesting thing to note. When I powered the stm8s903k3t6c via plugging in the USB adapter. one of the relays clicked on FYI. I had mains power unplugged so it was no big deal but just a heads up incase you have LIVE power connected to any of the relays. The relays are 5v coil and may activate.
    It will be interesting to see what your results are.
    Berin - You Rock! I now have PWM and VSO working. On to wiring in a Servo motor!

Thank you so very much.

If I can hep you trouble shoot the 4 Axis HW let me know.

I can trouble shoot it no problem.... I just dont want to.....

Can this board be used with mach3 or another software with more resources than "CNC USB Controller" software? I can't seem to setup a slave axis on this and the activation code I received won't work either... Sorry, I'm quite the newbie with all this.

The activation code should work just fine. "SHOULD" this board is an older board if your using the latest software from planetcnc it likely WONT work. you should use the version of control software that came with the board. non of the linux versions will work with this board. I'm using SW 2.10.1807.2601 on win10 The board will not work with other software platforms like mach3. I prefer planetcnc over mach3. if you cant activate your board then nothing is going to work anyways. but you should be able to mirror axis in software settings easy.
    The main things you'll have to watch out for when using this board. is that it does not like thousands of micro moves. Where you make a fraction of a MM move 200 times making a curve on a circle thats a 1/4" diam. the cpu will bog. then again MOST controllers have issues with whats called data starvation. use arcs when you can and dont generate gcode files with to many micro moves.

david_s5 whats your status got pictures?

thank you, I did manage to get the activation to work but Still have no idea how to "mirror" the drive I can add axis but the "function" column is greyed out unless I unplug the unit. Then I can add 4th axis as slave but as soon as I plug in the controller it gets greyed out and back to 3 axis/motors. I too heve the same cnc usb controller ver.2.10....

what MOTOR controllers are you using. There is no reason you cant use the ucncv4 "axis" that you need to mirror and just split the step/dir to those axis. so for example lets say you are using a HOBBYCNC 4 axis c ontroller. you could then just take Y axis step/dir signals and split it between to motor drivers. rather then try to do it in software.

Good day Berin, I am using FMD2740C drivers and yes I heard that I can do that by inverting the wires so the motor turns the opposite way but how would I time the motors to make sure they run exactly parallel and to square up the Gantry? Also are you telling me this because this controller/ software cannot do slave/mirror?

Thanks again for your input.

Hi Berin,

I added a consew clone to my taig, and ended up re-rewriting the FW on the STM8 to do PWM to V curve adjusted to the isolated V-V converter I bought. I also added an RPM sensor, but that shows how bad the servo loop is on the clone.

I can post some pictures this weekend.

David

Here are some pictures. I did not take the controller apart, I printed the case, in sections.

On the wall the 2 black boxes that are to the upper right of the motor controller are the real RPM display and the vertically one is the isolated V-2-V.

nifty, nice work. And compact

Stavmanxyz, I am having an issue with a CNC kit that has a ucncv4 controller I just got from Amazon. I need a license for the controller. the software is looking for a file named cncusbcontroller_license.lic. If you could help in any regard I would appreciate it. Thanks

kmcfall48.... if you got it from amazon. regardless who the """" supplier """ is it should come with a license on what ever disk or media also shipped with it. You dont have to use the planetcnc software on the disk you can download from planetcnc but the license key file should have shipped with the board. also the ucncv4 only works with the older planetcnc software. the newer versions do not work. Remember the UCNCV4 is a very nice board works amazing. but it is a chines knock off. of planetcnc's original CNC board. so as I said you'll need to use the data disk/flash what ever media that came with your motion controller card. I'm using the V2.10.1807.2601 planetcnc windows software. There is no linux versions that I know of that will work with the ucncv4.

I want to start by saying thanks for all the info.

I recently got my cnc running and want to add tool probing. I am using the usbcncv4. Where do i connect the 2 leads for the probe?

Probe or Tool Sensor?

There is a wealth of information at https://planet-cnc.com/blog/?category=obsolete. I use the Lower (-) Z limit. The Tool Sensor I have, has the probe switch and an over-reach switch. I wired the over-reach to the Emergency stop, and the probe switch to the -Z limit.

Tool sensor for setting tool tip zero.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david_s5 View Post
    Probe or Tool Sensor?

There is a wealth of information at https://planet-cnc.com/blog/?category=obsolete. I use the Lower (-) Z limit. The Tool Sensor I have, has the probe switch and an over-reach switch. I wired the over-reach to the Emergency stop, and the probe switch to the -Z limit.

You can use the tool sensor in more ways then one. An off set trick is to use a 1/8th 1/4 what ever bit depending on your tooling setup is. I like to use old broken bits. I cut or file off the flute and leave just the shank of the tool. I then setup a probe setup. typically with metal work surfaces. attach the probe wires and jog the machine dead slow till the shank touches the work surface. I then ender an offset to the working position proper to the center of the DIAM of the shank I'm using. With a button I setup, I hardware disable limits. so I can pack off or disconnect clips etc... its a good way to probe out a surface. You can also do a macro or gcode probing routine.

Page 2 of 2 12