585,568 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Newbie - Want to Make Custom Metal Stamps

Newbie - Want to Make Custom Metal Stamps

Hi,

I've looked through the forums, and haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for.

Please view the attached image, it's what I'm looking to make. Not sure what the dimensions are of the stamp is in the attached image, but I want to be able to make a stamp as small as 10mm x 10mm.

Since I'll be stamping mostly on gold filled, and sterling silver blanks, any recommendation on stamp material is welcomed. I've read something about tool steel as a good option since it can be cut prior to heating and cooling it, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't really have a budget in mind, since I have no clue what type of machine is necessary to accomplish something like this.

Can you please provide low, mid, and high-end recommendations, with pro and cons to each.

I plan to make 5-10 custom stamps a month, if that.

Thanks!

Re: Newbie - Want to Make Custom Metal Stamps

Hi
    are these going to be used for one job or used for years ?

I have seen small ones like shown above custom made out of Hong Kong on Ebay and Etsy for pretty cheap ,

I would think you need to make the stamp logo part first if you plan on using a small Chinese machine , they do not have much height below the cutter ,

I would love to hear what you find out

I have actually used services that you've mentioned, for 12 stamps already.

I plan on making more in the future, I'm just wondering if it makes sense to buy my own machine from a cost perspective over time.

Since I have no clue what type of machinery I need to accomplish something like this, I look to the experts on this forum, to help me make an informed decision.

The 12 stamps cost me around $800. I know there are cheaper options out there, but I picked a middle of the pack pricing vs going with the cheapest option, in hopes of not getting a completely crap product.

Quote Originally Posted by doobus View Post
    The 12 stamps cost me around $800. I know there are cheaper options out there, but I picked a middle of the pack pricing vs going with the cheapest option, in hopes of not getting a completely crap product.
    can you tell us who you had good luck with ? what size of stamp , and were they made of steel or brass

thanks

To be honest, I hesitate to mention the company name openly, since they were barely able to fulfill this size of an order, I don't want to add to their back log, lol. Private message me if you really want to know.

The size of the stamp was 10mm made out of steel.

So, do you have any recommendations on what type of machine can accomplish this?

If you want high quality stamps, expect to spend close to $5000, and have a very long learning curve.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi

I will be going to a trade show next week and I think there is one company that makes metal stamps , I will ask them ,

I wonder if they use Wire EDM ? if they used a CNC then the cutters would need to be very small.

Something like this would be my choice for precision engraving. https://www.datron.com/cnc-machine-p...datron-neo.php

or this https://www.haascnc.com/machines/ver...act-mills.html

For stamp material, A2 or S7 tool steel would be my choice.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

since you have some from the Hong Kong company can you look how they were made ?

can you see machine marks like it was done in a milling machine ?

Short of asking what type of machine they used. They said, that they used a laser machine and not a milling machine.

I should have clarified, the stamps I had made weren't from that Hong Kong company, but a company based out of New York.

Looking at Jim's recommendation (the hasscnc site won't load), they look to be pretty large machines, I'm guessing those are quite expensive, my guess 20k, which at that price point, is certainly not worth the investment at this time.

Ger21's price estimate of 5k, is a price point I would heavily consider getting my own machine. At 10 stamps a month, this can pay for itself within a year, plus having the ability to experiment with designs would be a nice added bonus. What machine did you have in mind Ger21?

Quote Originally Posted by doobus View Post
    Short of asking what type of machine they used. They said, that they used a laser machine and not a milling machine.

Looking at Jim's recommendation (the hasscnc site won't load), they look to be pretty large machines, I'm guessing those are quite expensive, my guess 20k, which at that price point, is certainly not worth the investment at this time.

Laser? Hmmmmm

I had to click on it twice to get it to work, but the starting price is $60K for the Haas
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I don't have any recommendations.

But I'd consider $5000 to be the minimum. And be prepared to spend 6-18 months learning, along with hundreds of $$ in tooling and scrapped attempts.

I don't have any experience, but would think that those stamps are rather difficult to make.

It always seems like when people start asking about buying a machine to make a product, the product is never something that's easy to make.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"It always seems like when people start asking about buying a machine to make a product, the product is never something that's easy to make."

Ain't it the truth! Frankly, to do something like this on a rotary engraving mill would take a spindle that costs about $5000; the rest of the machine would be extra.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Looks like buying a machine capable of making a stamp in the photo isn't something that makes a lot of financial sense atm.

Appreciate all the input, it's been helpful for a newbie such as myself.

I make steel stamps more than 40years. (Material:Steel Sverker21).
    I attach you 1 photo. (You can find some stamps in my website www.xaraktikh.gr)
    It's not easy to make them.
    The price that gave you is good.
    The stamp is from steel, not a wood.

I suggest you order the seals from a professional.
    You want more than 100K$ to buy all the machines to make the stamps correct.
    This is my advice.