585,602 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vacuum Table for CNC router

Hi, I've been trying to find a vacuum table that I can fit onto my CNC router in order to hold down the work piece but was not so lucky. I actually found the size I want but the only info I got was from the website which does not give details like mounting, thickness, vacuum controll etc. The guy in charge there only speaks german and unfortunately have to look somewhere else. Does anyone have any info where I can find something similar to the below?

http://cnc-plus.de/product_info.php?...y-Version.html

Thanks
    Martin G

Vacuum Clamps

If you want to go on the cheap side try V-clamps. I am in the process of integrating them on my router. They connect directly to an air compressor and give you plenty of holding power. See http://www.specialtytools.com/produc...d881213eedb23a
    or http://www.vac-clamp.com/ .

You may also wish to have a look at the face plugs for your V-Clamps. These lift your work piece by 3mm (about 1/8") to allow through cutting when cutting pieces smaller than the size of the clamp.
    The plugs also provide grip to reduce chatter, and the are disposable so if you cut into one just replace that one rather than a clamp pad.
    There is a lot of information about using the clamps on CNC machines on the website Link Here
    Worth a look
    Vac-Clamp

Hi there, thanks for your input. I have reviewed the links you provided. The V-Clamp looks very neat, powerful and most of all maintenance free, however in my opinion I guess it's more feasible for the full time guy rather than one like me. The reason for my conclusion is that since this operates on the principle of a vacuum generator (this clears away any blockages immediately when blocked -thus making it maintenance free) it requires a constant airflow and so an air compressor which keeps going in and out when the air pressure drops. I was thinking more along the lines of using a vacuum pump hooked up to a reservoir.
    Thanks
    Martin G

Hello MartinG

The clamps are pretty much maintenance free, and the vacuum generator does provide a lot of holding power.

The advantage of using compressed air as a power source is that compressors are very common, are relatively inexpensive and can be used for a wide variety of other applications.

The V-Clamps allow excellent holding power and reliability, with a low air consumption (1 cfm @ 80psi). At 80 psi the vacuum being generated is better than 25" Hg (about 80% of absolute). At 60 psi supply pressure the vacuum level drops to about 20" Hg, but the air consumption drops to about 0.75 cfm. This means that even a small compressor will be able to keep up with air supply.

Furthermore when running a vacuum pump you will need to block off unwanted holding pods otherwise the efficiency of the pump will be greatly reduced.
    V-Clamps work independently of one another. If you have two or more clamps "chained" together, and one is not being used, there is no adverse effect on the holding power of any others in that chain.

Errol