585,737 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Electrical setup for mains voltage single phase servos ?

Electrical setup for mains voltage single phase servos ?

I am trying to test my servos and I have the following wiring diagram from the manual which says to put in a contactor with surge suppression and breakers for each servo.
    1) Is this necessary? I understand inductive loads can cause high voltages when disconnected quickly, I don't want to damage the servos.
    2) If so what contactors should I use? Does anyone have good links for a wiring diagram? Mains power in Australia is 240v and these will run off single phase 240v.
    3) Can anyone give me links or search terms for how to build an electrical cabinet for use with single phase mains power servos? General sort of design considerations - where to wire in e-stops and such? Or good learning links? I was told on another forum to use 24V for a control voltage.

https://preview.ibb.co/npdbEe/servowiringdiagram1.jpg
    I only have experience with low voltage DC but have some electrical knowledge. The final setup I will pay an electrician to check

Re: Electrical setup for mains voltage single phase servos ?

They must be large servo's if they require 3ph, are you sure they will be happy running off 1ph?
    You could use one single contactor for all servo's if you size it accordingly, it should be a motor rated contactor of the correct ampacity.
    24vdc is pretty much the standard now for control voltage.
    Here in N.A. one regulatory instruction is the NFPA79, Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery, I believe there is a copy out there if you Google.
    It should be the same, or similar requirements for Australia.
    When building enclosures, the heat generating components are generally placed at the top of the cabinet.
    Along with all fusing etc.
    Don't forget to set up a star point Earth Ground where the service ground is also terminated.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Electrical setup for mains voltage single phase servos ?

3-phase inputs are pretty common on even low power AC servos. I've got some 400W Delta drives that are 1/3 phase, and even their 100W drives will take 3 phase.
    If the manual recommends it, probably best sticking with 1 breaker/fuse per drive, but I'm not sure why each drive would need its own surge suppression and contactor. As long as the breaker the next step up can take the inrush current of all the drives being powered on simultaneously.