584,833 active members*
5,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > MD Tool 1:2 ER32 live tool change total mess.

MD Tool 1:2 ER32 live tool change total mess.

We have live tools from WTO, Heimatech, Eppinger, Lyndex and MD tool here. I just watched the ****tiest most awful tool change on an MD holder I've ever seen the damn tool has a spindle flat, the wrench slipping off with gravity, the guy dumped an endmill in the pan - wrecked it brand new. He about put himself in the hospital with stiches, the holder requires bolts get removed from the turret for tool changes already, I tried to help, and got it finally tight for the guy, but it was really maybe 15 minute end mill change in a twin turret. UGLY. It made me want to slap a person at MD Tool. The body of the tool is metal- maybe they should have made the wrench magnetic. That was just a mess.

Worst tool to change in the shop. I wish there was a solution but I'd have to get into product development for MD tool to solve it.

It's a nice tool, but geeze - how do you design one with no plan for changing the tool?

Re: MD Tool 1:2 ER32 live tool change total mess.

I thought about this and if I chop the wrench off, drill a hole in it, I can pin it to the tool with the bolt and then use a collet nut wrench. That might help. All the guys say this tool is the worst to change that we have.

Re: MD Tool 1:2 ER32 live tool change total mess.

We modified the wrench this sorted it, it was about 1.5 hours of work for no pay. The kind of stuff we appreciate the brands to do so we don't have to have odd left field problems requiring custom solutions.

Attachment 401960