584,829 active members*
4,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > EDM Discussion General Topics > Sodick AG600L Wire EDM - EDM wire rewinds to spool after cut at end of program.

Sodick AG600L Wire EDM - EDM wire rewinds to spool after cut at end of program.

Hello,

Last week I started my first job in a machine shop, I am learning to setup and run 2 Sodick AG600L Wire EDM machines.

Most operations go perfectly smooth and no hiccups. But the individual that has been training me, who has been running the machines for 5 years, indicates they have always had this problem.

At the end of a program, the wire is cut. If you leave the machine unattended to long, it will attempt to rewind, uncommanded, back onto the wire spool and we end up with a bunch of loose wire.

This issue happens with .010 and .006 most commonly used wire in the shop, with the .010 being fine for hours at a time but the .060 will sometimes rewind in just moments after the cut.

The solution being used in the shop for the last several years has been to immediately rethread the wire after moving off the part. So the wire stays threaded while changing parts or overnight etc.

The rollers appear fine, there is a .010 groove in the main tension roller, but we are running on ungrooved part of the roller at this moment.

Any tips on what could be causing this?

Re: Sodick AG600L Wire EDM - EDM wire rewinds to spool after cut at end of program.

I, the new guy, figured it out.

Both machines had been set to run wire backtension for a 10KG spool of wire, but we have only been using 6KG spools. Once changed back to the 6KG spool settings, back feed of wires has stopped.

Re: Sodick AG600L Wire EDM - EDM wire rewinds to spool after cut at end of program.

Well we thought it was fixed. But now they are rolling back to the spool again.....

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    Hello,

Last week I started my first job in a machine shop, I am learning to setup and run 2 Sodick AG600L Wire EDM machines.

Most operations go perfectly smooth and no hiccups. But the individual that has been training me, who has been running the machines for 5 years, indicates they have always had this problem.

At the end of a program, the wire is cut. If you leave the machine unattended to long, it will attempt to rewind, uncommanded, back onto the wire spool and we end up with a bunch of loose wire.

This issue happens with .010 and .006 most commonly used wire in the shop, with the .010 being fine for hours at a time but the .060 will sometimes rewind in just moments after the cut.

The solution being used in the shop for the last several years has been to immediately rethread the wire after moving off the part. So the wire stays threaded while changing parts or overnight etc.

The rollers appear fine, there is a .010 groove in the main tension roller, but we are running on ungrooved part of the roller at this moment.

Any tips on what could be causing this?

It's probably the tension settings, you have to find them on one of the settings pages (maybe settings/machine etc.), there are 4 or 5 different tension settings for the wire depending on what circumstance.
    You probably have the back tension set to high or the wire broken tension to high, something like that.

This can also happen if the large rubber roller has too much groove in it and the wire is slipping back past the rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I am new to the forum and I run Sodick Wire EDM's. Have you fixed the issue with the rewind? I have seen this problem happen on my ALN600G with the newish SPW Control. What I did was goto Settings, USER 2, and adjusted my STANDARD AWT BACKTENSION, STD. WIRE BROKEN BACKENTENSION, and STD. THREAD BACKTENSION. Once I did that the issue went away for me. I run 10kg spools on mine.