584,849 active members*
3,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig R8 Spindle with Power Draw Bar

Thought there might be some interest here. Yes, my videos suck...LOL...you don't have to say it. But it's hard to hold the camera and do the feed override. Tripod gets in the way. Need one of those suction mount deals. Anyway, it gets the point across.

https://youtu.be/DOyzULWeIW8

Re: Taig R8 Spindle with Power Draw Bar

Haven't posted in a while, so here is vid and a link to my Youtube with a lot more videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFC...o2nqvfoKwSETFQ

Thanks for sharing - did you make all the drawbar system yourself (and is the head modified/built by you for 8K?) Very impressive is there a build thread how you have done this?

That is one sick micromill i would liketo know more about the conversion?!

Odd, I never received any email notifications of responses on this thread.

The R8 spindle was made by a friend and myself and another friend designed the power drawbar setup for it, the motor mount and spindle mount. I've since upgraded to a DMM 750W servo motor. All of my build info is on the Taig facebook group. FYI, the spindle (and everything else) was designed and made from scratch just for the TTS system. Even the R8 shafts are made from heat treated steel then ground on the bearings. Absolutely nothing but the cylinder on top comes from China (well, I'm sure the solenoid and tube fitting probably came from China...LOL). But the meat of the machine was all DIY made

https://www.facebook.com/groups/524365887660604/

And here is my Youtube channel with a lot more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFC..._as=subscriber

Just added a spindle encoder this past weekend for more precise control, PID feedback through UCCNC and more accurate rigid tapping. Next up we are doing a linear rail conversion so there will be no more Taig left (since I'm already running a heavy duty new frame and the R8 spindle). Then after that we will be building an ATC for this unit. These spindles/PDB/mounts and frames are for sale via the Taig facebook group (not affiliated with the actual Taig company, just a few DIY guys). The other conversions will be available as we finish designing and testing them.

Thanks,
    -=J

Here's another video explaining the build a little more. And some renders from my CAD for the mounts and PDB. Also vids on my channel of the new PDB foot pedal I installed a few weeks back. Uses the spindle out in active low mode to keep the pedal deactivated while the spindle is running. So no worries of stepping on it while the mill is operating.

I scraped the dual post motor mount due to the size of the timing pulleys and opted for a single post mount instead. Also made fitting the belt under the pull plate much easier.

Foot pedal and pics of the encoder mount.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeDJ16 View Post
    Foot pedal and pics of the encoder mount.

Nice build.
    I'm curious how is the spindle exactly controlled? With analog 0-10V from UCCNC and there is a spindle encoder which controls it in closed loop with PID?
    And there is also rigid tapping using the same encoder?
    The encoder is connected back to the motion controller?
    Is it how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Nice build.
    I'm curious how is the spindle exactly controlled? With analog 0-10V from UCCNC and there is a spindle encoder which controls it in closed loop with PID?
    And there is also rigid tapping using the same encoder?
    The encoder is connected back to the motion controller?
    Is it how it works?
    Thanks!

Yes, my spindle (timing belt driven R8 1 to 2 ratio) was way too much for the servo to handle in step/direction and kept faulting out, so had to use speed mode and analog 0-10v signal. The DYN4 controller for the DMM servo does have an encoder output, but the lowest PPR on it would saturate my input board at around 2500 RPM (I'm using a UC300ETH and C11G input card for speed control and the encoder input). Also, the speed control was ok, but not great just using the DYN4. I could have spent more time calibrating the DYN4 better, but I also lose the Z pulse in a 1 to 2 ratio (as you can't use 0.5 for a Z pulse). So the simple solution and more accurate was to add an encoder directly to the spindle versus using the motor. UCCNC has a PID closed loop software control built in, so even though the DYN4 does too, UCCNC will still override the 0-10v signal to step up or lower the signal voltage to the DYN4 to achieve balance from commanded to actual (from the direct encoder). So accurate rigid tapping is available and I get super accurate speed control. But more importantly, it senses the motor bogging and will try to increase the signal to compensate the speed under load. In my first DMM video you can hear a little bogging on some of the heavier cuts (no software PID or spindle encoder). That should be a thing of the past unless I get too crazy with my feeds and speeds.

Added a mister cylinder to my setup and then someone pointed out that Haas makes an MQL just like it. So I didn't rip it off intentionally, but it works...LOL Since this video I've swapped to a 75mm version of the spring return air cylinder. More info on the Taig Lathe and Mill Owners Facebook page if you are interested.