584,860 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Pro 4896 THC Issue

Primary Issue: THC does not automatically adjust to material height variations during job run.

Hardware:
    CNC Router Parts Pro 4896
    NEMA34
    Hypertherm 45XP

Software:
    Mach3
    TMC3in1 v4.4.0.0
    SheetCAM CNC Router Parts Plasma - OHMIC Post Processor

Problem:
    Once MACH3 GCODE cycle starts, torch will come down, touch material, adjust for pierce height, fire pierce then change to cut height correctly and in turn fire and run cycle. However during the cycle run, the torch will not adjust for variation in material height. If material is higher than initial contact point, the torch will simply drag into the material. and if severe enough, knock the torch off the mount.

I am not sure if I am testing correctly, But to determine if THC is adjusting for material height variations, I turned off the torch head and ran the gcode job. During the job run, cut height never changes. In addition the THC ON/OFF never shows green or Active.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachment 401720

Here are my THC CFG settings:
    Attachment 401716
    Attachment 401718

I have pressed the THC button to manually turn on THC, However once the job starts, it will freeze on any M03, M04 or M05 codes. I looked those codes up and they have to do with spindle control. But then I reviewed my SheetCAM post process where I had selected CNC Router Parts Plasma - OHMIC and it turns out that the codes M03/M05 turn the torch on/off instead. So I edited out those M codes in the .tap file, pressed THC ON and ran the job. Since the codes were removed the job ran, however still no THC height change. The torch runs into the material just the same.

Thanks - John

Re: Plasma Pro 4896 THC Issue

Did you set arc voltage ?

contact me . Maybe I can help you .

email me the xml file and your all tmcin1 files to check screen and etc

Matt

I gave up on mine. I never did get it working right or even close to right.
    I also had glitches with the switches. I spent a couple weeks on it off and on. Probably a good solid 40 hrs. I just run it now with the THC turned off. Not a real problem since that is what I was doing with the old system too.
    It was still pretty new when I got mine and there were some areas of the manual that were still incomplete.
    I figured I would give it some more time to grow before I dedicated more time to getting it working.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by mattcnc123 View Post
    Did you set arc voltage ?

contact me . Maybe I can help you .

email me the xml file and your all tmcin1 files to check screen and etc

Matt
    email sent...

Matt,

Thanks for the help. I attached my PRO4896 xml file and compressed the TMC3in1 folder located in the MACH3 folder.

The only voltage I have set is from the THC3in1 v4.1.0.0 setup procedure manual. I have not made any adjustments to those manual settings. I am currently running TMC3in1 v4.4.0.0… however I have not found an up to date manual on cncrouterparts.com.

John

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I gave up on mine. I never did get it working right or even close to right.
    I also had glitches with the switches. I spent a couple weeks on it off and on. Probably a good solid 40 hrs. I just run it now with the THC turned off. Not a real problem since that is what I was doing with the old system too.
    It was still pretty new when I got mine and there were some areas of the manual that were still incomplete.
    I figured I would give it some more time to grow before I dedicated more time to getting it working.
    Without the THC dynamically changing torch height as it progresses over material is a big issue for me.

Its one thing to keep flipped up cut material out of the way. But to have to perform dry runs and level material constantly will make for a miserable experience.

The kicker is, I could have perfectly flat sheets, but have a little slag on the table that raises the material slightly and boom, torch goes ass over tea kettle.

-John

All of my files are from October last year, so it's been nearly a year since I have messed with it.
    I used to have to knock the slag off every week and grind the slat about once a month. Since installing the CRP water table though, I have ground the slats once and flipped them over once. Lasts a lot longer. I have the table and slats mounted very flat. Water level is always withing about a 1/16" from top of slats. I clamp the corners of my sheets so they are always laying flat too. All that helps to make it useable. That said, I do not walk away from this machine when it is running. It is the only machine that we have to babysit. Luckily it carries out a weeks work of production in an hour or two for us.
    Lee

I see they do have newer files now. I did download the latest.
    Last year they did not have the checklist nor did they have the THC log analyzer.
    It may be time to give it another look.
    Lee

I see they do have newer files now. I did download the latest.
    Last year they did not have the checklist nor did they have the THC log analyzer.
    It may be time to give it another look.
    Could you please post the links to the files and THC analyzer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee

A problem no longer. Cutting a 6"x6" square out of 16 gauge cold rolled steel plate with one side of material raised 1/2” higher using FineCut consumables. Cut start point is at top left lowest point in material. Test was done to determine if THC would respond timely and be responsive to higher material and raise the torch without the torch dragging.

https://youtu.be/uiLuBqr7UoU

That is great news. Looks good.
    Lee

That is great news. Looks good.
    The sooner you get yours working the better things will be. I was a very expensive baby sitter before I got my THC going. I don't exactly get to walk away and leave it on its own. But it sure is nice not to have to worry any more about the torch running into a .05 variation in height and destroying a half sheet of expensive material.

I have the exact same table and setup as you, and am also having problems with THC seeming to work in Mach, but with my tip dragging (can't cut diamondplate or warped metals). What was your issue and how'd you fix it up?

Your wiring is most likely wrong for your torch model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ever find a fix for this problem?
    I am having similar issue but I am using Mach4.

Tnx.